
Former Federal Reserve chairman, Alan Greenspan, released a memoir back in 2007 called “The Age of Turbulence”. Much can be, and is being, said about Alan Greenspan’s contribution to the current economic conditions, but this is not a blog about economics. I only mention it because it is such a fitting name for these times. Certainly all of us are dealing with turbulence in some form or another, whether it be job security, retirement savings, investments, international adoption…the list goes on.
Job security, or the lack thereof, is definitely unnerving in the midst of becoming a new parent! Sometimes I wonder, if we were deciding to start our family today, would we choose to hold off until the country’s economic outlook shined a little brighter? Would we decide to take the less costly route and try to have one of our own, or adopt just one child? I don’t think so, but I do occasionally wonder, and I am glad we are already half way down this path. Our children's need for a family, and our own desire to parent, cannot be asked to wait for easier times.
Gratefully, it appears that we are in a good position to weather this down turn. Mark’s company is one of the few that are doing well. The head of the corporation that I work for announced today that they think they “have the right numbers” to get us through this down turn. Numbers means people. Hundreds of people have already been laid off, but it doesn't look like there are going to be any more layoffs for now. We are fortunate that it was only hundreds and not thousands like most companies our size.
Job security, or the lack thereof, is definitely unnerving in the midst of becoming a new parent! Sometimes I wonder, if we were deciding to start our family today, would we choose to hold off until the country’s economic outlook shined a little brighter? Would we decide to take the less costly route and try to have one of our own, or adopt just one child? I don’t think so, but I do occasionally wonder, and I am glad we are already half way down this path. Our children's need for a family, and our own desire to parent, cannot be asked to wait for easier times.
Gratefully, it appears that we are in a good position to weather this down turn. Mark’s company is one of the few that are doing well. The head of the corporation that I work for announced today that they think they “have the right numbers” to get us through this down turn. Numbers means people. Hundreds of people have already been laid off, but it doesn't look like there are going to be any more layoffs for now. We are fortunate that it was only hundreds and not thousands like most companies our size.
Our agency, Gladney, reported yesterday that they too are solid and will survive this tough time. They even acquired a couple other agencies who were not doing well, in the process preventing hundreds of families from loosing the money they had already invested in their adoptions. I had no idea things were going to get this tough, but I did look at Gladney’s financial statements when choosing an agency and I cannot say enough about how important it is to do that research.
Today I breathe a sigh of relief - for our employers, for our agency, for ourselves - and pray for those who are less fortunate.
No comments:
Post a Comment