Monday, July 5, 2010

Ethiopia Day 11 - Meeting Their Birth Mother, Oromo Countryside

The boys' birth mother made the long trip to Addis in order to meet us and say goodbye to the boys. That meeting was planned for Friday morning but we had to postpone due to Taye's illness. Our agency arranged for meals and accommodations for her while he regained his health and by Sunday morning we decided that everyone was well enough to move forward.

I had been thinking and worrying and wondering about this meeting for a very long time. Now that it was upon me I felt completely unprepared, even though I had painstakingly written down a list of questions to ask. If you are preparing for this meeting yourself, there was some great advice given on the blog shower that Rebecca threw for me before we left. Thanks again to those of you who shared your experiences with us.

I expected the meeting to occur inside our agency's office, but as soon as I got out of the van a pretty young woman came forward, embraced me and planted several kisses on my cheeks. I was surprised by her age, as the report we have says she is 42 (my age) but this woman was young enough to be my daughter. The boys have her eyes, and I see her in them often.

Our time together was brief and difficult. The boys clung to me and our hearts broke for her. I couldn't tell if the boys remembered her. It had been 10 months since she had relinquished them due to extreme poverty following the death of their father. Through two translators I asked if she had any questions for us. She wanted to know how she would get the updates that we have promised to send each year until the boys are 18. I explained that she could get them through our agency. I asked her some questions myself but she was very sad and it just didn't seem right to grill her with a long list so I just told her how much we love the boys, that they would know how much she loved them, and then we held hands and let her say goodbye to her sons. It wasn't enough.

We spent that afternoon driving out to the Oromo countryside. I highly recommend this trip, especially if you don't have time to travel to another region in Ethiopia. Oromo is a day trip and it will give you a much better feel for the country. We saw many wonderful sites including a church carved out of the ground built by the same architect who built the churches in Lalibela. He died before it was finished so it is not as ornate but nonetheless worth seeing. If you go I recommend wearing socks, as you will have to remove your shoes before entering the church. We also saw ancient stone carvings, colorful farmer's markets, rivers and scenery, teff being processed the old fashioned way with oxen, and of course many beautiful people.

6 comments:

Tracy said...

I'm always interested to read people's account of the meeting with the birth mother--I guess because everyone's experience is so different, and there really is no way to anticipate what it will be like.

The Oromo countrside sounds like a great suggestion for a day trip. I'm going to remember that!!!

Eryn said...

Oh, brief and difficult is a good description of the family meeting. I can only imagine how it would have been with a birth mother :)

#2- I had no idea you are 42. You are young and hot, friend!! :)

Tam and Kai - NYC said...

How difficult this must have been for all, but so invaluable down the line.

Gayla said...

I totally know what you mean about not asking everything. The moment with the birth family is just too emotionally charged to really be able to ask those questions... But I'm so glad you got to meet her. So glad Gladney set her up to be able to stay while Taye was in the hospital.

We went out to Oromo too- because my husband wanted to ride horses. We didn't get to see lots of the things you mentioned b/c we were meeting with the horse people. It was interesting and Mick ended up buying a saddle and whip and some other horse stuff which he now has up on the wall in his big barn. It was pretty much a "Mick" day. ;-)

Leanne said...

Heidi - you said it so well! I see Zadie's birth mom in her all the time. And how I could have captured so much of her in a short, emotional time, I don't know. It's something about her eyes, though.

I am so glad that you we able to meet her, even with all the sickness!

Evelyn said...

Birth family meetings ... one of the most sacred experiences of my life.