Monday, January 4, 2010

AT LAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Today was the day we finally saw their faces. They are the most beautiful faces I have ever seen. Faces that are almost identical, except for a tiny little scar on one beautiful chin and a teeny little mark on one completely smoochable neck.

They are twins!! 28 months old!! A boy and a boy!! Brothers who have had each other through everything. Brothers who will continue to have each other and who, God willing, will have us very soon!!

Everyone says that it happens when you least expect it but I honestly thought that was impossible. I have been thinking about this call for eighteen months and expecting it almost every minute of every day for the past FIVE. How on earth could it come when I didn't expect it?

Well, it did. Today was an unusual day because I had to leave for an out of town business trip. I procrastinated over the weekend and had a lot to do so I was at my desk working hard by 6 AM. Mid-morning I sent our case worker an email with my schedule for the week, having given up on getting the call that morning and knowing that I would be hard to reach over the next few days. Then I packed a suitcase and headed for the airport.

By the time I got to the airport I had stopped thinking about getting the call completely, since it was already past the time I told Kristin she could reach me. I had about an hour to kill so I popped over to Brookstone to look at their carry-on bags. We’ve had one for several years that we really like and have been thinking of getting another one before our trip to Ethiopia (just because I stopped thinking about the call doesn't mean I stopped thinking about our adoption!). I called Mark and asked him to order it online so I wouldn’t have to drag it all the way to Denver and back. Then I walked over to the security line.

Just before taking my shoes off I looked at my Blackberry and saw an email from Kristin. I didn’t get excited. We’ve been emailing a lot over the past few weeks and I figured it was just her reply to my earlier email. But when I opened the message my eyes flew to the words:

“...your referral is READY” and “I think you are on a plane but call or email me if you get this...”

WHAAAAAT????

I didn’t even read the rest of the email. With tears streaming down my face and very shaky hands I somehow managed to type something like:

“NO I AM still HERE at the airpfrot for an hoiur call me!!!!”

Then I called Mark. That conversation went something like:

Mark: "Yeeees?" (Wondering why I was calling again since we had just hung up about the luggage.)
Me: "ARE YOU READY?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" (Very high pitched and much too loud. Incidently, I have no idea why I choose those words.)
Mark: "Ready for what?" (Probably still thinking about the luggage and wondering if I had finally lost it completely.)
Me: Blubbering and crying now. Must have said something about the email and our referral being ready. In any event, he figured it out.
Mark: Laughing and laughing and then “Where are you?”
Me: "Just about to go through security. I’ve stepped to the side."
Mark: More laughing...
Me: Laughing too now...
Me: "Why are we laughing?"
Mark: Still laughing..."We can’t do anything the easy way, can we? We can’t even get our referral like normal people!"
Me: "I KNOW! Look, let me get through security and get some place where I can boot up my laptop. I have 45 minutes before my plane boards. Maybe she can at least send us a picture or two before I get on the plane!"

Somehow I made it through security. The guard had to stop me first because I tried to walk through while responding to Mark’s text message telling me to hurry, then because I forgot to take off my sweater (really don’t understand what sort of terrorist plot could start with a sweater but ok) and then because my bracelets set off the alarm. SHEESH! Finally I got to the bench where you put your shoes back on and even before putting my shoes on I called Kristin.


Voicemail


Managed to put my shoes on and not forget any of my belongings. Then I walked over and sat down at gate C4. Realized that my gate was actually C14. Started high tailing it to C14 all the while trying to respond to several text messages from Mark and forward him the original email from Kristin. Somehow I made it to my gate without running anyone over in the process. I am sure I looked like a complete and utter lunatic.

There were about a million people in the waiting area but I found a seat in a corner way off to the side. Took a deep breath. Decided to read Kristin’s email in its entirety and started booting up my laptop. Then I called Kristin again.


Voicemail


So I called Mark instead and we just sat there laughing and crying and staring at our email inboxes hoping something would appear. I sent Kristin another email (poor Kristin!). Then after about 15 minutes we decided to hang up so that we wouldn’t waste our batteries. I think I called Kristin another 3 or 4 times, each time getting voicemail (POOR Kristin!!). The flight attendants started pre-boarding and I resigned myself to the fact that I was going to have to WAIT until I got to Denver. Before shutting down I decided to try calling one last time and there was Kristin’s sweet voice on the other end saying:


“Heidi?!!!! Can I send you an email? Wait till you see them, they are so precious!!!”


Oh my heart! I managed to open her email but then she started telling me their names and my brain turned to complete mush. I just sat there dumbfounded, having completely forgotten how to download an attachment. Really, for the life of me I couldn’t remember how to access the pictures (did I ever mention that I work for a SOFTWARE COMPANY?! Technology is kind of my THING!). Kristin kept saying, "Have you opened them yet?", which somehow snapped me to and then there they were! Two precious little boys. Looking more beautiful, and sweeter, and cuter, and funnier, and chubbier and sweeter, and more beautiful then I ever imagined! There they were smiling, and waving, and running, and wiggling around on the ground like little rascals! Be still my heart!

I really needed to get on my plane so Kristin agreed to call us tonight with the rest of the referral information after she puts her own children to bed (POOR WONDERFUL KRISTIN!!). I called Mark briefly so I could tell him how to pronounce their names and hear how happy he sounded. As I was walking onto the plane I emailed a few pictures to my mother. She called me in tears just as I got to my seat and we had a couple minutes to cry and rejoice together before they made me turn my phone off.

I wrote all of this while I was sitting on the plane, wishing I was celebrating with my family instead of squished into a tiny seat with a glass of apple juice, but at least I had the faces of my future sons to keep me company! I have looked at them about a thousand times already. Oh me, oh my, I am in love!!!!!!

P.S. For those who don't know, we aren't allowed to post pictures or their names on public internet sites until we pass court and they are legally our children (more to come on what that means). For now you will just have to take my word for it...they are gorgeous!!!



92 comments:

Unknown said...

OH MY GOODNESS!!! YEAH! TODAY IS YOUR DAY SWEET HEIDI! TWINS!!! OH MY GOODNESS!!! I'M SOOOO VERY EXCITED FOR YOU! CAN'T WAIT TO SEE THEIR SWEET LITTLE FACES! SO HAPPY FOR YOU! I WILL GET PICS AND VIDEO FOR YOU WHEN WE ARE THERE IN 2 WEEKS! ENJOY YOUR BLESSINGS AS YOU LAY IN BED TONIGHT TRYING TO SLEEP! YOU WON'T SLEEP! HOORAY FOR YOU!

Lisa said...

I am crying tears of happiness for you guys! Best news ever!!!! Congratulations!!!!!

More Dorrs said...

Tonight, I will rest peacefully.

I am really excited to meet my sweet boy soon, and just as excited to meet your sweet boys.

Congrats to you, waitlist buddy. Congrats.

b

Kip said...

Wow. Heidi, I cannot imagine what you're feeling. I'm very happy for you.

Kelly said...

Yeah!!! Yippee!! They are gorgeous. I'm teary seeing their picture. Can't wait til you get to hold them in your arms.

Amy said...

OH HEIDI! You knew they were twins! You knew it! OH HEIDI! Words can't express how thrilled we are. OVER THE MOON!

Amy said...

My god, they're GORGEOUS! GORGEOUS! Fraternal? You can see their little personalities! OVER THE MOON! In my whole life I don't know if iver ever been so happy for two people. TWIN BOYS?!!!? HOLY SHIT! What now? Shower time! When did you get the call? What were you doing? I've been thinking a lot about you the past few days. TWIN freaking BOYS! YIPPEE!!!!

Amy said...

I keep going back to see the pics again :)

Anonymous said...

So happy for you!!!! FINALLY!! Your day has arrived!!! Twins!! Double blessing!! Over the moon for you!! GOD IS AWESOME!!!!! So worth the wait!!!!!!!HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!

Jackie Harmon said...

Oh my goodness! I am sooooo excited for you both! Twins! Congratulations Heidi!

MP&DAP said...

I AM IN LOVE!!!!
They couldn't be more perfect and beautiful. I can't wait to hug their little bones!!!
Which one is which? The one in the yellow looks like he is going to be
a little trouble maker, hamming it up for the camera!!

LOVE YOUU!!!!
SOOO HAPPY FOR YOU GUYS!!!

xoxo

Auntie MP, Uncle DAP

Mary-Paige said...

I LOVE MY NEPHEWS!!!!

The H Family said...

Oh, so excited for you guys--and that's really such a fun age! What a sweet blessing twin boys will be!

Belleme said...

Congratulations!! Twins will be SO fun! I'm so happy for you!!

Katie Morris said...

Oh Heidi!!!! What a wonderful story. I am so unbelievably happy for you. You have waited such a long time and deserve this so much. I can’t wait to see their sweet faces. What a wonderful gift. Wouldn’t it be great if we were able to travel together?

Rebecca said...

my sweet heidi,
you have been such a wonderful friend. i am so happy to share in this joy with you. you'd laugh at me and my ugly cry right now. it's just so wonderful to know that you have seen their faces. i can't wait to talk to you.
xoxoxoxoxo
r

Eryn said...

OH.MY.WORD!!

I am sitting here with tears streaming down my face! I almost went to bed without checking my blogs...so glad I didn't miss this! I am soooo happy for you! Maybe we'll get to travel together!! Yay!!

Tegan, Gregory and Maiya said...

Congratulations on your sweet boys!!!!!
Today was our day as well........oh, the elation.
Enjoy!!!!!

Maribeth said...

Tears of joy! What an incredible day! We all join with you in the celebration of this day. These boys are going to be so loved. Now, let's hope for a court date really soon.

Claudia said...

YAY!!!! From one twinmother to another... twins are the BEST! CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Tam and Kai - NYC said...

The whole world is cheering for you guys!
Speaking as an aunt of twin nephews, you are in for the most amazing ride of your life :)
Sending huge hugs & congratulations your way. They are beautiful!!!!!
xo

Ryane said...

YES!!! Wonderful, Wonderful news!!

Were they there in September? Email me a picture and I'll check to see if I have any pics of them.

I am so happy for you guys!!

Ryane
ryanemurnane at verizon.net

Gail said...

Heidi-

Congratulations!

So happy for you, tears fell as I read about your call.

Beautiful! Simply Beautiful!

Lisa said...

Ok so now you will really start to understand the whole surrender thing, is truly worth it! They are absolutly amazing, and you are about to step on the most amazing platform of life, with adopted children from Ethiopia! I am sooooo happy and excited for you, they are Bellas age she is 27 months, how fantastic....and twins what a blessing....i wish i could have champagne in my oj!!!!!!
love to you both.....your feet will hit the ground in about a month! oxoxox

The Soucys said...

Oh My Goodness Heidi! BEST DAY EVER! I am so happy for you! SO HAPPY! I loved your referral story, that is definitely one you will always remember! I can take pics for you if you want to email me at jsoucy15@yahoo.com

Robyn said...

So incredibly happy for you! You will LOVE being a mom to twins--it is beyond special to watch the unique bond they have. Congratulations!!!!

kn said...

oh my gosh i'm at work and can't read all of this but i'm thrilled thrilled thrilled for the two of you!!!

twin boys! i love boys!!! oh lovely! oh joy! thanks for sharing your happiness it's made my own day brighter!!

Congrats!

Autumn and Dan's family said...

YAY! Congratulations!

The Busters said...

Oh my goodness!! I am so late to the party. What a morning to have computer troubles. SO HAPPY!!! I am very inappropriately crying at work right now!! Tears and more tears!! TWINS!! Oh so happy for you Heidi!! SO. HAPPY. XOXOXOXOXO

AprilM said...

Oh My Gosh!!!! Words can't describe what I'm feeling right now....Our God is so AWESOME!!!I'm so HAPPY for you and your husband!!!! I can't beleive it TWINS!!!! God gave you Double!!!Praise his precious name!!!!Congrats, maybe we'll get to travel together....Praise GOD!!!

Cassandra Britt said...

So so happy for you!!!!

Sara said...

Ahhhhh! Beka's post came up first on my blog roll so I quickly jumped over here. Twins!! How wonderful! I'm so, so happy for all four of you! Twins!! Ahhhhh!

Julie said...

YAY! Hooray! Congrats!

Anonymous said...

I am so excied you!! Le's alk over heweekend. I am so happy for you - Love DavidC

Amy said...

Congratulations! Yay! A great referral story!!! :) So happy for you guys!!!! Hooray!

Matt and Kristi said...

Heidi-
You don't know me, but I am Lisa's sister (the one waiting just below you on the unofficial waitlist). I have been following along with your journey since Lisa and Travis started on their own, and I read your entry today through very blurry, very teary eyes. Congratulations!!! I am so excited for you guys, and will continue to follow your family on your blog. What an amazing life!

Kristi

The Mrs. said...

The biggest congratulations to you guys! What a marvelous, emotional, praiseworthy story!

Laura said...

Yeah!!! Twins - how exciting! I am so happy for your family!!!

J Gutwein said...

Wow.. unbelievable. Our call was not normal either ;). Great memories though. I cannot wait to meet them. Love, J

Kristy -Mom To 9 Blessings said...

Wow! Wow! Wow! Great news and double the blessing! So happy to read this and what a memorable referral story!
Much Love, Kristy

Kat & Stacy said...

As a twin mom I very rarely write on my blog any more (you'll see!) but I am still a faithful follower of several families journeys ...yours is one of them. And I am SOOOO overjoyed to see this latest installment! seriously...what a great great day. And I know what you mean about "how can I be surprised by the call when I think about it every second?" It was the same way for us...totally surprised! Can't wait to see them in your arms. Feel free to email if you have any travel/twin questions...I'm hardly a pro at it but I'll be glad to share what little insight I might have. xoxo-kat

Ellie, Gary, Aidan & Yeabsera said...

How truly wonderful!!! Now that you've seen their beautiful faces, watch that wait time disappear into space...There IS a reason for that wait...and here they are.
I love you to bits!
Congrats to both of you!
ellie

Mika K. Reynolds said...

Heidi -
Big, huge congratulations to you two. I have been thinking so much about you and am teary and joyful on your behalf. We are just beginning to pack our bags and would love to carry over presents for your boys if you want. My email is mika.reynolds@gmail.com if you want to shoot me a note and I can get you our address, etc... Warmly, Mika

Anonymous said...

Congratulations! Love the story and i can just "see" both boys in your description of them. Big hugs! Won't be long now...
XOXO ~ Megan

Heather said...

A big giant congratulations!!!!!!!! TWINS!!!!!!!!!!! I am so happy for all FOUR of you!!!

yahooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!

Tam said...

Oh my word, you are a popular lady!

Seriously Heidi, when I got your message, I gasped out loud. And Matt was like, "WHAT WHAT??" And he was so so happy when I told him!
We are all living your story with you. I knew when you got your referral it was going to be such an intense wave of emotion through the Gladney and ET adoption community.

I'm just so so happy for you!! I'm just so so happy.

PS, I wanna see pictures!!! :-)

sko3 said...

congrats! The best is yet to be!

Tracy said...

Tears are streaming down my face! I'm so happy for you!

I went on the Gladney FBI website today and clicked on the "Wait List" page, and my heart skipped a beat when I saw that you were no longer on the wait list.

I'm so happy you have your referral! I know you can't wait to meet your sweet boys! Bask in the joy!

Rahel said...

I am so happy for you guys Heidi! This is really wonderful news and I am so happy that you got twins!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Evelyn said...

This had me teary! Welcome to the world of boys! I'm still trying to figure it all out, but it will be fun to share this journey with you! CONGRATULATIONS! Yes!

InventingLiz said...

Congratulations! I remember that mushy-brained how-do-you-do-things feeling when I got my referral too! Twin boys - how wonderful!

Lori said...

FINALLY!!!! So happy for you both. They are so beautiful and I can't wait to meet my new nephews in person!!! It will be so much fun to get all the cousins together, I just can't wait for that day. Love you guys.

Auntie Lori XOXOXOXO

Gretchen said...

Fantastic!

Jen said...

Oh my goodness!!!! How wonderful. And what a wonderful age. email me...I may have pics...they could have been in Bella's room. j.jennifermorgan at comcast.net

Cindy said...

Huge Congratulations on your new boys!

Anonymous said...

YAHOOOOOOOOOOO! Congratulations! I can't believe I missed this yesterday. When I just got Monique's email I thought she meant you were waiting on a court date just b/c you had some info from before, but thank goodness I checked!!!! Congrats! Yay for FOUR more Connecticut precious Ethiopian babes!! Can't wait for beach party 2010!!!

Wes and Layla said...

Yaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyy! It seems so weird to be this excited about something happening to someone I only know through a blog, but I guess it's the wonderful connection of adoption. I am so incredibly excited for you! This is absolutely amazing! Congratulations!

Gayla said...

THRILLED for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sarah said...

Your patience is paying off! So happy for you both:) Can't wait to see pics of your new family when you are all finally together! xxxxxooooo

Siobhan said...

Sweetie, so happy for you! When do you meet them? xxx

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing all the details, heidi ... Candi and I are both THRILLED that you finally got the announcement and things are now in motion.

Mark shared the photos, the two boys look absolutely great ... cute, smiling, happy, energetic and alert, expressive ... I hope everything continues going well and they will be at home with you in Connecticut soon!

Congratulations again, we are very happy for you both and excited to hear the details as they roll in (and, of course, when you will be going to Ethiopia!).

-- Joe

Mark said...

What a great post, Baby! I'm reading the responses now - you're a star! LOL! Can't wait for you to come home! Kisses!

Monique said...

Just read it....tears...happy tears of course, streaming down my face as I continue to avoid my next meeting because I couldn't help myself and had to go read your blog so I'm late, but hey, your friends don't get a referral every day!! This is big news!!! oxox

Anonymous said...

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!! We are so so excited for you both. Wow. They are really adorable and seem so happy. We could not be happier for you.

I can't wait to meet them and have them running around with Noah and Luke. Now, of course, should you and Mark like to practice your running skills, Luke and Noah are available anytime.

-Karen & David

Julie said...

Just had to come back again. This is a great referral story, and I am so very, very happy for you guys.

Laura Ferry-Jimenez said...

love this post! congratulations!!

we're hoping to adopt two boys (sending in application in 2 months - long story) and secretly am wishing for twins! how freaking cool!

been following your journey and am so, so happy for you four! ;)

Leslie said...

Congratulations!!! I am so happy for you. Your referral story is so sweet. I hope your court date comes soon and we get to see pictures of your TWINS! Yea!!

Tanya said...

REJOICING with tears in my eyes! So happy for you! Wow! Twins!!! Praying for you during the hardest part of the wait!

Susan said...

Much love, congratulations...get ready for the biggest adventure of your lives!!!

Heather said...

it's been forever and I just got caught up on your blog where, by the way, you write beautifully and got ME to almost tears as you went through all the emotions when you got the news! Twins! How precious is that? My brother has twins (one boy, one girl)!! So I would love to catch up sometime about life in general but for now many many many warm hugs to you and Mark and looking forward to hearing more!

Robbin Hopkins said...

That really was the sweetest story I'd heard in a long time.... Congratulations

Candi said...

I am so incredibly happy for you and Mark. When Joe and I saw the pictures we both had tears in our eyes. They are beautiful and I cannot wait to meet them in person.

Becky said...

Congratulations Heidi!! I just now read your post and I have to tell you that it made me cry! You and your husband are in for the most wonderful life experiences. I can't wait to see their beautiful shining faces. Good luck with the rest of the process.

Tony said...

I am so, so sososososoossososososososososo

HAPPY FOR YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

emily said...

Yay!! I was hoping it was those precious boys!!! I met them and have a picture of them just a few days after coming into care if you want it.........ha, like you wouldn't want it!! Email me at teamalexander @ mac .c om and I will send it to you. Oh they are so yummy! I would love to see them smiling- feel free to add a pic to the email so I can see them now.

Your time has come- enjoy it ALL!!!!!!! :) So happy for you guys.

the Melodious Mama said...

here I am, comment number 77 on this glorious occasion. I have to say, I really needed this today...hope. Hearing someones story of connection. I'm sitting here, big ugly crying whilst the house bustles around me thinking about you and your hubby and those beautiful boys and how very, very blessed you all are to have eachother. congratulations!!!!!

Anonymous said...

We are adopting from Ethiopia, too, with another agency and I have been following the Gladney people. You don't know me from Adam, but let me say how thrilled I am that you both finally got your referral!! I am so happy for you both!!!!"

Paul said...

Heidi, that’s fantastic news! I am so happy for you.

I admit to being a total wimp when it comes to little kids and shed a tear when I read your story – very touching.

Your going to make a great Mom!

Congrats again to you and your husband.

Jim said...

That’s awesome news! I’m so happy for you! I have been wondering where that was at recently but I figured I would hear from you when you got the good news so thank you for sending this to me. That is a really funny story of how you heard – I can just picture you going through all that at the airport trying to talk to your husband and then downloading pictures. Pretty funny. The only thing I was looking for was the pictures but I did see your note at the end, which is too bad, but I’m sure you’ll send plenty of pictures in the future.

I might be biased because my son is 27 months, but that is a great age. All the ages have interesting things but this is such a neat age because it is so formative. I’m sure they’ll just be starting speaking (which means you’ll get half a dozen funny things each day) and they’re at an age where you can really start interacting with them. I think it’s so cool that you have twins as well, and I’m sure that’s going to be really great for them, having each other.

I’m sure you’ll just be chomping at the bit to go see them but I’m glad that you got “the call”.

Shelia said...

I'm just sitting here in tears!!!!!! AAAAAHHHHHHH!!!! I am so happy for you!!!!! And so can't wait until you can post pictures of you beautiful sons!!!

Anonymous said...

OMG- They are so adorable Heidi. What incredibly exciting news! When do you officially close the deal?

Thomas

Al Domingo said...

This is great news! I am so happy for you Heidi. I can't wait to see the pictures.

Freda said...

What great news, I'm so happy for you!

Jennifer said...

What a great referral story! TWINS!!!! Identical twins are so much fun! Congratulations!!

Journey to Jaden said...

I am so crying over here....praise God....so crying......praying the 4 of us get together as soon as possilbe!!!

Michelle said...

Heidi!

I am absolutely blown away! Congratulations to you guys. Now will you go get the boys or will they come to you?

I had read you blog so was aware of where you were at. It is so amazing!

Have you found out when the legal aspect is complete - you must be BESIDE yourself - they are SO cute! I showed Zoe and she was interested in how you and Mark were white and the boys were brown (as she says) and that you were a family. Needless to say that posed a great opportunity for one of those value statement kind of conversations!!

Sincere congrats to you - you both will be amazing parents!
xox
M

Aimee said...

I am in love too!! I dont have much time to write but I wanted to tell you HOW UNBELIEVEABLY HAPPY I AM FOR YOU BOTH. You will be an amazing Mom. You two are ALREADY amazing parents to wait this long and put so much faith, time and energy into all this! You deserve all the baby (or toddler in this case!) bliss in the world......xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxoxox


Love, Aimee (and Stuart who is dying to meet you cause he thinks you are my imaginary friends) LOL

Leah said...

Congrats! Such wonderful news!

Rose said...

WORDS CANNOT EXPRESS HOW DEEPLY HAPPY I AM FOR YOU BOTH!!!!!!

Maribeth said...

I have been so busy that I haven't had a chance to touch base with you since your referral. Congrats! Congrats! Congrats! Finally.

Rebecca said...

yeeee!!! I'm so excited for you guys. Boys!! Your house is soon to be filled with lots of fun - and trouble - but all so fun!

Laurie said...

I just want you to know that I just found your blog from a link a facebook acquaintance posted. I am sitting here with tears running down my face. They started when you sent the typo-ridden text to Kristin and they haven't stopped yet. Thanks for sharing!