Monday, June 28, 2010

Ethiopia Days 4, 5, 6 - Meeting Our Sons

On Sunday there was a fish market we wanted to see in Awassa but if we were going to meet our sons that day we needed to get on the road early. After waiting two long years we just weren't in the mood to wait another day so we high-tailed it back to Addis, making only one stop for breakfast at a beautiful resort on Lake Langano.



We arrived at the Bejoe Guest house, where we stayed for the remainder of our trip, and did a little unpacking and got some toys ready.


Nervous new daddy...


...and mommy waiting for the car to arrive with our sons. I have never been that excited or nervous before.


I had these grand plans to wait in the garden for Travis to bring the boys to us so that we wouldn't overwhelm them. I had grand plans of not crying too but as soon as that car drove through the gates all grand plans went out the window.


I hurried down to the car to meet our sons!


They came right to us without a single tear (on their part anyway!).



We took them up to the lawn where we had laid out a blanket and their little backpacks full of toys.


They were a little uncertain at first but I showed them some pictures of us that we had sent over in care packages and it broke the ice when they recongnized that we were the Mommy and Daddy in those pictures. They sang us a little song about Mommy and Daddy and America.


Legos helped break the ice too!


We spent the next couple days at the guest house getting to know each other. Looking back on it I can see now how nervous they were but they were also full of giggles, songs and not a single tear. They were sleeping through the night. They were eating whatever we put in front of them. We couldn't believe how well things were going. It all changed on Wednesday but those first few days were definitely our long awaited honeymoon!

We were living in the moment during this time and these are the only photos I took!

12 comments:

Lisa said...

I wish I could have been there for that meeting. What a beautiful time those first days were! I wish I could experience some of those first moments again and just absorb them a little more than I did at the time. Everything seems to blur together now. I meant to keep a journal, but every time I started I was interrupted or too tired to continue. I hope you guys are doing well! Love to all you guys!

Sara said...

I tear up each time I see pictures or hear the story of families being united. I think I'll probably do that forever.

Gayla said...

Love it! Keep it coming!!!

Leslie said...

Amazing. What sweet boys.

The Busters said...

Love. Love. Love.

Jen said...

I love it! Like Sara I never tire of the stories.

Brenda said...

Heidi,
I went back and just checked the timeline of when Baby C was at Initiative...and he WAS there when you visited. My email is
brendaknott@hotmail.com if you think you might have pics of our little one. He would have been about 3 1/2 months old then.

THanks
Brenda

Leanne said...

Thank you so much for sharing!

Our plans also went right out of the door when we met Zadie. The emotions took OVER!

Can't wait to read the next post! :)

Kristine said...

I'm impressed you got this many!

Tam and Kai - NYC said...

Please keep these stories coming!

Eryn said...

Totally gives me goosebumps...the garden, the blanket...the waiting for your beloveds to arrive!

So glad we got to share it (well, not the actual meeting moments, but...the week).

Even though we really hardly know eachother in person, I miss you! There's something that bonds for life, you know? Bless your sweet family, friend!

Evelyn said...

Smile :)