Saturday, March 21, 2009

Haregewoin Teferra


I just learned some very sad news. A woman named Haregewoin Teferra has died of natural causes at her home in Addis Ababa. Haregewoin was a woman whose courage, generosity and tireless dedication helped hundreds of AIDS orphans in Ethiopia. I first learned of her through the book There Is No Me Without You by Melissa Faye Green, which tells the story of her life and how she came to found the Atetegeb Worku Memorial Orphans Support Association. She has been foster mother to hundreds of children and today houses about 40 orphans, half of whom are HIV positive. Mrs. Haregewoin received no government help to care for these children.

Haregewoin’s life story is moving, heart wrenching, and deeply inspiring. I read “There Is No Me Without You” last summer when we were just starting our journey. I could not put it down, cried through most of it and wanted to read it again as soon as I was finished! I highly recommend it to anyone connected with Ethiopian adoption, anyone wondering “why Ethiopia” or just interested in learning more about the AIDS orphan epidemic in Africa.

God Bless you, Haregewoin. Your life was a life worth living and you will not be forgotten. May you rest in peace.

2 comments:

Amy & Phil Weinmeister said...

Oh no! I just finished reading "There Is No Me Witout You" last week. Haregewoin was such an inspirational lady. Do you know what happened to all the orphans in her compound??

I've been following your blog for a few months. My husband and I are also adopting 2 little ones from Ethiopia and have been waiting since January for a referral (not with Gladney).

Great news about all the Gladney referrals last month! Hopefully you'll know who your little ones are very soon!

Mary-Paige said...

I started reading "There is no me without you" on Monday, I am 100 pages in and have probably cried 10 times!

I love it though. And love that my neice/nephews will be coming soon!
It also gets me excited for your trip to go get them :)

Love you!
xoox