Monday, October 3, 2011

Betty Ann Newcombe

 

These pictures of the boys with their grandmother, my mother-in-law, were taken last February. It was a good visit full of mischief and laughter and I am grateful we had it. A few weeks after this we learned of the illness that ultimately took Betty from us last week.

It is hard to find the words to express how much this woman meant to us. Betty was the kind of person who loved her family with all her heart and who celebrated each milestone in her children’s lives with unabashed enthusiasm. Her generosity was unfailing and she had a terrific sense of humor, two qualities that my husband inherited. When we adopted puppies years ago, Betty put pictures of the dogs on her shelves alongside other important family pictures and looked forward to their visits—she never asked us when we were going to give her the more traditional kind of grandchild. When we purchased our first home, she was thrilled for us—she never asked why we didn't move closer to where she lived, although I’m sure she would have preferred that. When we told her we were adopting I don’t think I have ever seen anyone so excited. She weathered every step of the wait with as much fervor as we did and she loved her grandsons with all her heart before she ever met them. There are a million stories of how she supported us like this, in ways both big and small, and life will not be the same without her.


Today would have been Betty's 69th birthday. I wish we could have had more time but I am trying to focus on being grateful for the time that we did have, and I am most certainly grateful that she had the chance to know the boys. While they probably won't remember her, indirectly they most certainly will come to know her, for her son is like her in so many ways. I suspect that my children will inherit their grandmother's sense of humor, and they will be lucky if they gain her generous and supportive heart.

Rest in peace, Betty. We miss you dearly.

12 comments:

InventingLiz said...

So very sorry for your loss. May she rest in peace.

The H Family said...

What a precious set of pictures of the boys with their grandmother. So, so sad to read of your loss...sending love and prayers.

Sha Zam- said...

Showing your own beautiful heart here too Ms. H. So sorry for your loss. Really. Hugs.

Sue said...

So very sorry for your loss. Glad your boys could know their grandmother's big heart because they will carry it in theirs.

Anonymous said...

Heidi - what a wonderful tribute to my sister, and you're absolutely right - she loved Mark, you and her grandsons beyond words.
She was so proud of all of you.
I think I said happy birthday to her at least a dozen times yesterday. You're posting just ended it perfectly

My love to all of you

Leah said...

She sounded like an amazing woman. It's rare to find someone so supportive.

Claudia said...

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. What a wonderful gift to have the pictures and the stories so your boys will know how much she loved them. Looks like it was mutual.

Sending you love at this sad time.

scooping it up said...

So sorry for your loss. Grandmas with unconditional love are priceless members of a family. Sending love and hugs.

The Busters said...

Such a beautiful tribute and I am so glad the boys got to spend some quality time with her. So sorry for your loss. Sending love your way! XOXOXO

Nif said...

Heidi,

Your post made me teary because I had a grandma much like your boys. She died 8 years ago and after I moved to Australia I picked up the phone to talk to her cuz I needed that. The phone rang but she didn't answer as she was no longer there......My mum is just like her and I am just like my mum, so she lives on but we don't have anyone telling us afternoon naps are for nookie and other shocking things!

So wonderful that she got to know and love the boys and they her.

Big hugs, and thanks for the lovely remembrance.....
Nif

Rebecca said...

Please pass my love on to Mark. I cannot imagine. I am so sad for you all, but very thankful that she got to meet and spend time with the boys. I know they must have meant the world to her. I love you honey. Big hugs!

Kathleen said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. Hugs to everyone.