Friday, November 21, 2008

Tag, I'm It



I have been watching other Gladney Family blogs get "tagged" for a while and now I have been tagged by http://cocoprincesslovenotes.blogspot.com/. Thanks, Coco Princess' Mom, I am happy to play along and I appreciate the introduction into the greater Gladney Family blog community :-)


1. I once had a brief conversation with Harrison Ford. I was in the lounge at the Mercer Hotel in NYC, which is supposed to be for hotel guests and elite clientele only, but my friend and I snuck in for a glass of wine. Harrison Ford and some older gentleman came in and sat down across from us and after trying to play it cool for a half hour I leaned over and said something smooth like "sorry to bother you but I just wanted to tell you how much I love your movies"...not very original, I know! He responded with "Your not from around here, are you?", which I am pretty sure is a line from at least one of his movies, and probably a pretty good guess seeing as we were in the lobby of a hotel. I was actually living in NYC at the time but who was I to contradict Harrison Ford so I told him I was originally from Maine and we had a little chat about the time he had spent in Bar Harbor. Sadly the conversation ended when a group of giggling girls came over to ask for his autograph.


2. Spaghetti and meatballs used to be my favorite food and I once went on a quest for the perfect meatball, which back in 1993 was found at Stella's in Seattle. That was in my 20's and I no longer eat large bowls of pasta or meatballs since they tend to end up somewhere they are not welcome now that I am in my 40's!


3. My husband and I were both half adopted. By that I mean that we were both raised by our birth mothers and fathers who adopted us at very young ages. I have never met anyone else who shares this background and I have always thought it was a very cool thing to have in common. It is one of the reasons that we decided to build our family through adoption.


4. I ushered in the millennium at a party in South Africa, never imagining that I would be returning to Africa almost a decade later to adopt two children!


5. I like to think that coincidences are not merely coincidences but rather signs that we are walking on the right path. See random facts #3 and #4.


6. We shop at a grocery store called Stew Leonard's, which has lots of entertainment for children such as singing and dancing fruits and vegetables. Mark and I have been shamelessly singing and dancing along with these fruits and vegetables for the past four years, and are now looking forward to having children in tow to give us a legitimate excuse to act so silly in public!


7. I love the taste and smell of coffee but I don't like caffeine! I know that's probably strange to most of you, but it just makes me feel antsy and even if I only drink one cup in the morning I have trouble sleeping at night. Mark, who can drink a large Dunkin Donuts coffee at 8 PM and still get to sleep, thinks I should start drinking coffee now in order to become less caffeine sensitive by the time we go to Ethiopia, because certainly I will want to drink the coffee when I am there! I just figure that I will be so excited, not to mention the fact that I will have two babies to tend to, that I can forget about getting a good night's sleep anyway so what does it matter!


Now I get to tag 7 blogs. The following families can consider themselves IT!







2 comments:

Jebena said...

Welcome to the Gladney Family and to the world of "completion" via adoption!

Katie Morris said...

Thanks for tagging me! I will have to think of 7 random things... I look forward to following your journey.

-Katie