
It has been a busy week on the adoption front. Don’t get excited…it’s not OUR news yet, just some good news and some...let's just call it The News... about the adoption process in Ethiopia.
THE NEWS
Adoptions of Abandoned Children Halted: The courts have temporarily stopped accepting cases involving abandoned children from orphanages in Addis Ababa, citing concern over a recent increase in the number of abandoned children being brought for adoption. The number of abandoned children from orphanages in Addis Ababa has grown dramatically in recent months and Ethiopian authorities have become aware of possible cases of unethical practices associated with some of them.
THE GOOD NEWS
In Ethiopia, children are legally available for adoption for one of two reasons. They are either relinquished (willingly surrendered by their parent or immediate family member), or they are abandoned (deserted without trail to a parent or immediate family member). Our agency processes very few cases of abandoned children, which are the cases effected by the recent announcement. Gladney is also highly ethical and only works with government run orphanages, not private orphanages that are also the subject of the investigation. Gladny does not anticipate any delay to referrals but 15 families had court dates this week and only 5 passed, so it does look like court delays may be inevitable. This is how it goes in the unpredictable world of international adoption...
MORE GOOD NEWS
Our friends returned from Ethiopia this week with their daughter, Yeabsera, and she is perfect! They visited the pediatrician on Tuesday and the doctor said, “I’ve got nothing!”, which is to say that she is right on target for height and weight and doesn’t have a single heath issue, not even the ailments that children from Ethiopia typically come home with (diarrhea, skin infections, lice). I have not yet met Yeabsera in person but I spoke with her mother for about 45 minutes yesterday and I could hear her babbling and cooing away on her mother’s lap. I dare say she is as cheerful and chatty as her wonderful Mother and I am awed by how perfect this match is!
The second great news is that some families DID pass court this week and will be traveling soon to bring their children home. Congrats to this family and this family and this family and the “K” family whose blog is private…and anyone I may have missed. We are overjoyed for you!
Our hearts go out to those who are still waiting to pass court and we pray for good news soon!
“Dwell not upon thy weariness, thy strength shall be according to the measure of thy desire.” ~ Victor Hugo (1802 - 1885), Les Miserables, 1862
THE NEWS
Adoptions of Abandoned Children Halted: The courts have temporarily stopped accepting cases involving abandoned children from orphanages in Addis Ababa, citing concern over a recent increase in the number of abandoned children being brought for adoption. The number of abandoned children from orphanages in Addis Ababa has grown dramatically in recent months and Ethiopian authorities have become aware of possible cases of unethical practices associated with some of them.
THE GOOD NEWS
In Ethiopia, children are legally available for adoption for one of two reasons. They are either relinquished (willingly surrendered by their parent or immediate family member), or they are abandoned (deserted without trail to a parent or immediate family member). Our agency processes very few cases of abandoned children, which are the cases effected by the recent announcement. Gladney is also highly ethical and only works with government run orphanages, not private orphanages that are also the subject of the investigation. Gladny does not anticipate any delay to referrals but 15 families had court dates this week and only 5 passed, so it does look like court delays may be inevitable. This is how it goes in the unpredictable world of international adoption...
MORE GOOD NEWS
Our friends returned from Ethiopia this week with their daughter, Yeabsera, and she is perfect! They visited the pediatrician on Tuesday and the doctor said, “I’ve got nothing!”, which is to say that she is right on target for height and weight and doesn’t have a single heath issue, not even the ailments that children from Ethiopia typically come home with (diarrhea, skin infections, lice). I have not yet met Yeabsera in person but I spoke with her mother for about 45 minutes yesterday and I could hear her babbling and cooing away on her mother’s lap. I dare say she is as cheerful and chatty as her wonderful Mother and I am awed by how perfect this match is!
The second great news is that some families DID pass court this week and will be traveling soon to bring their children home. Congrats to this family and this family and this family and the “K” family whose blog is private…and anyone I may have missed. We are overjoyed for you!
Our hearts go out to those who are still waiting to pass court and we pray for good news soon!
“Dwell not upon thy weariness, thy strength shall be according to the measure of thy desire.” ~ Victor Hugo (1802 - 1885), Les Miserables, 1862
No comments:
Post a Comment