Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Not The Call...Yet *UPDATED - read the last scentence*

For as long as Mark and I have known each other I have been in the habit of calling him at work during the day. We only talk for a minute or two and usually I have no good reason to be calling. Sometimes it’s just because I am on a long drive to or from a customer and dying of boredom. Most of the time it’s just because I like hearing his voice and connecting during the day, however briefly.

For as long as I have been making these calls Mark has been answering them with either a “what’s wrong” or an “I am busy - make this quick” tone of voice. Mark is protective, and Mark likes to focus on work when he is at work. Mark has no privacy for chit chat with the wife. I don't mind. I still like hearing his voice, and in spite of his tone, I know he likes hearing mine.

Lately, however, Mark has sounded exceedingly happy to hear from me when he answers my calls. I thought maybe we were turning a corner with our work day chats until I noticed that, once he learns I am calling for no good reason, his tone returns to normal. I put two and two together and realized that the new tone was because, every time I call, he thinks I am calling with news about THE call. Poor dear sweet excited husband!

I told someone this story and they confessed that for months they too have thought I was calling with news every time I called just to say hi. So, from now on, whenever I call for idle chit-chat I will start the conversation by saying, “Hi-It's-Me-It's-Not-THE-Call” right off the bat, so you can take your hearts out of your throats and put them back in your chests where they belong.

That is of course until it IS the call, and then I might be too giddy to say anything and you will have to say, “Did you get the call?”and then decipher my squeaks and giggles as an affirmative!

Did I mention that we are number THREE on the unofficial list?

9 comments:

Cassandra Britt said...

I keep thinking about where I am going to be, who I will be with, how long it is going to take to get the four of us together to see our sweetie....Hopefully, both of our families won't have to THINK these thoughts much longer!!! RING PHONE!!!

Sara said...

I jumped everytime my cell rang today. Here's to hoping the call comes tomorrow!!!

More Dorrs said...

My mom sounds disappointed every time I call her...I know how anxious she is to hear about her grandson and not trivial things like whether or not I can borrow a bowl from her :).

Soon!!!

-bek

Tam said...

yeah but, you're the only ones asking specifically for siblings. so really you're number ONE :-)

Unknown said...

The wait is tough isn't it? Hoping you get "the call" real soon! hang in there!

Cassandra Britt said...

Number 3!! Yeah!

Lori said...

WOW!!!! So exciting! I'm crossing my finger and toes!

Lori

Tam and Kai - NYC said...

I check-in daily now with your blog & the Yahoo group, waiting for your news of The Call! I'm on the edge of my seat & so excited for you!

Jeremy and Sheila said...

Jeremy did the exact same thing!! I started feeling bad for calling him because I knew he got so disappointed!! I am sooooo excited about you being #3!!