Saturday, September 5, 2009

"The Weight of the Wait" by Julie Corby

Have you guys read this yet? The Weight of the Wait...so aptly put and a phrase that I can't get out of my head lately.

I will admit, the first time I read this article it scared the hell out of me. At the time I was overwhelmingly excited and undeniably optimistic about our journey. To think otherwise felt like it could jinx us, and I just didn't want to ruin my excitedly optimistic state with too much reality.

Everyone has their own way of coping with challenges, and sometimes optimism is the life raft that keeps me afloat.

The scariest point in Julie's article was the fact that they had been given a 6-9 month estimate and had been waiting 16 months and counting when she wrote this article back in April. We were given a 4-6 month estimate but I am no dummy and I had done my research, so I was pretty sure that those times were going to increase. That said, that doesn't mean I wanted to believe it or read about someone who was living it.

As of today we have been waiting 15 months and 3 weeks. Of course that's counting from our first agency meeting, not from when we made it on the wait list, but it's not counting all the years of wanting to start a family and not being able to, so I think that's a fair number.

As we approach 16 months ourselves, what I now know is that waiting this long is both easier and harder than I imagined. Easier because I am stronger and more patient and have more faith in God than I knew. I am still filled with hope and tremendously excited and, yes, optimistic. I have learned a lot about myself, I have grown, and I have found this wait to be rewarding in other unexpected ways. But there are times when I feel tired of all this waiting and times when it feels like this is never going to happen. And lately I feel like a little kid on Christmas Eve. Every day, Christmas Eve. And that kind of anticipation definitely has a weight to it.

What helps me carry that weight is the support I get from all of you - friends, family and the open, honest expressions and comments of my fellow adoptive parents. Every comment on my blog boosts me up a little, so I keep writing. And, yes, like Julie, I spend a fair amount of time blog stalking and watching home coming videos with a box of Kleenex. I take great pleasure in living vicariously and celebrating the happy milestones of others.

Mark is coping by completely loosing himself in the land of chores. How can I complain about that, right? But it is lonely when two people cope in different directions so once a week I drag myself away from the computer/blackberry/books on attachment and bonding, and I pry the paint brush or tool out of his hand, and we go to our favorite restaurant to eat oysters and hold hands and talk.

I am also going to the gym, trying to strengthen my body so that I will be able to carry the actual weight of my children. And I am grateful that work is extremely busy right now. It forces me to stay focused...most of the time...except the occasional blog stalking from my Blackberry in the middle of a boring meeting to see if so-n-so got their referral!

Deep breaths and a seventh inning stretch. I am ready for another week and all its possibilities!

Oh, and if you don't know already, Julie is finally home with her two children :) Happy endings do happen...

11 comments:

Cassandra Britt said...

Praying for you every day!! One of the best days of your life is right around the corner!

The Busters said...

You are a great source of strength and inspiration! I know I will have one of "those cries" when you get your referral!

sko3 said...

it's coming.

Unknown said...

Heidi hang in there! I'm praying for you! You have been so patient and such an encouragement to all the rest of us! I pray this is your week!!!

Lisa said...

I totally know what you mean about feeling like a kid on Christmas Eve. That is what I tell everyone the waiting is like, every day the feeling of much anticipation. I hope your referral is just around the corner :)

Sara said...

We are all in the wait with you. Cheering for you. Supporting you. Loving you. We cannot wait to see those two little faces! And soon!

Tam said...

I'm kind of a crappy blogger because, quit frankly writing makes me itchy. Seriously, its why I never really liked school. When I sit down to write something, I get itchy and antsy and want to leap out of my skin. And it takes me FOREVER to get through one blog post! So my point is, I'm glad I have people like you, who so eloquently write down my thoughts for me. Thank you Heidi :-)

Gayla said...

Heidi- so nice to "meet" you in this bloggy world! So fun that you are with Gladney and also waiting for siblings approx the same age as we are waiting for! Maybe our kids will all be friends someday. :-)

We've only been waiting for 2 months now... and I think I may be fooling myself thinking that it could happen by next summer. But... I can hope... :-)

Looking forward to getting to know you better!

Journey to Jaden said...

I just wanted to let you know that I was thinking of you and cant wait to hear you finally hear about your children!! Keep praying and and find comfort knowing its any day now!!

Jeremy and Sheila said...

Know that you are not alone in this wait although sometimes it can very much feel like it. Jeremy and I handle things very differently too so can completely relate. As weird as it may sound I think we have eaten out more on this journey than ever before because there are just times we need to focus on one another!! I am praying your call come soon and then the wait after that is very very short!!

Freda said...

We got it!!!!!

I'm still in stock. Your comment came in while I was on the phone with Natalie,thanks! You're next!