Sunday, June 19, 2011

The Father of My Children

I met Mark nine years ago at a weekend getaway in VT. Very quickly it became apparent to all of us that he had a way with children. It was one of the many reasons I fell in love with him.

To my surprise, it took awhile for him to come around to the idea of becoming a father himself. Children continued to gravitate to him, and he to them, but in spite of what everyone else thought, he wasn't sure if he would be a good father. I thought it was a reflection of how seriously he took the responsiblity of fatherhood and hoped in time he would come around. He did agree to become a Doggy Daddy and proved himself to be a patient and nurturing father figure to our furry children.


Obviously, and thankfully, he finally did come around. He agreed to start our family almost three years ago to the day, and he officially became a father this time of year last year. As with all big things in life it feels like it was just yesterday and a hundred years ago all at the same time.

Over this past year, Mark has proven himself to be the father I knew he would be and more. It has not always been easy but sometimes he makes it look that way. When he puts our children to bed they fall asleep faster and sleep longer and sounder. He keeps them from harm in spite of their fearless and sometimes reckless natures. They share his love of spicy food and steak and already appreciate and imitate his terrific sense of humor. Most importantly, he makes them feel safe and loved.

Watching my husband grow and blossom in his role as a father has been a great joy for me. I have heard other people say this and it is true for me too--as my husband's love for our children has grown, so has my love for him. I am so proud of the man and father that he has become.

Happy Father's Day, Mark! As were your sons, you and your timing for fatherhood were worth waiting for. We love you and all that you do for us!


3 comments:

Mark (Daddy) said...

That is the sweetest present ever! Thank you, Baby!

We Are Family said...

So so great!

Emy said...

Love the video!!! I need to do some of those! :o)

I just saw this adoption baby book on amazon and thought of you...

http://www.amazon.com/My-Family-Journey-Adoptive-Families/dp/0811857379