Tuesday, September 28, 2010

One Year Ago

One year ago today, a strong and beautiful woman made a difficult and loving decision.


After surviving the circumstances that led to that decision, at an age when most kids have trouble being left with a babysitter for a couple hours, our sons embarked on a year of momentous change.


They said goodbye to homes and caregivers not once, not twice, but three times.
They learned words in not one, not two, but three languages.


Through it all they remained bright, shining, warm, loving, smart, beautiful and sweet.


I have never known anyone braver or more resilient.


And they have shown me a love I never knew before, for which I am thankful every day.


I cannot imagine life without them, and especially on days like today, it breaks my heart knowing that she has to.

12 comments:

Claudia said...

Oh, Heidi.

Leah said...

What a beautiful post. What love you have for your sons, and for the woman who gave them life.

jill funkhouser said...

They are so darn cute!

Emy said...

beautiful and heartbreaking.

Sha Zam- said...

BEAUTIFULly written.

Personal question... would your boys happen to be Wolayta?

We Are Family said...

BEAUTIFUL!!!!! I love 'watching' your little family bloom. God is so good!

Gayla said...

Oh, my friend. Beautiful.

Kathleen said...

So beautiful.

Anonymous said...

Our baby boy(from Ethiopia) just turned 1 year old! I cried so much that day for his mother!! I LOVE your family and your heart!!

Blessings,
Sara

Tam and Kai - NYC said...

my friend, you are an amazing mom.

The Busters said...

So beautiful. Thank you for this post, dear friend.

Sha Zam- said...

also. that first picture knocks me OUT!