This guy...
And these guys...
And the little guys or gals that will some day wear these. Truly, I am so thankful that life has led us to adoption.

And, of course, I am thankful for all of you!
I found myself feeling not only thankful but actually quite grateful for the long holiday weekend and took it as an opportunity to step away from the internet, the phone and all fantasies of getting the call. Four days without even the possibility of that call was not only refreshing but it made me realize that I have become a little too consumed with all this waiting, resulting in a tendency to live in my head and in the future instead of the here and now. My Thanksgiving Resolution (maybe this one will stick better than the New Year's kind!) is to not waste these next few months of waiting merely waiting, but rather living in the present where I have so much to be thankful for :)
The Summer Day
by Mary Oliver
Who made the world?
Who made the swan, and the black bear?
Who made the grasshopper?
This grasshopper, I mean-
the one who has flung herself out of the grass,
the one who is eating sugar out of my hand,
who is moving her jaws back and forth instead of up and down-
who is gazing around with her enormous and complicated eyes.
Now she lifts her pale forearms and thoroughly washes her face.
Now she snaps her wings open, and floats away.
I don't know exactly what a prayer is.
I do know how to pay attention, how to fall down
into the grass, how to kneel down in the grass,
how to be idle and blessed, how to stroll through the fields,
which is what I have been doing all day.
Tell me, what else should I have done?
Doesn't everything die at last, and too soon?
Tell me, what is it you plan to do
with your one wild and precious life?


5 comments:
this is perfect. i love it. oh and the hats ... i love those too. and thanks for your post. i've been looking at the moon a lot and taking in the changes and what it all may mean. ah- this poem. thank you.
what a blessing to be transported to this quiet moment. these words, silenced all the white noise, i am holding this grasshopper, i am watching her fly away, i am paying attention. i think that is a prayer of sorts. my kind of prayer, breathing and taking in something magical. like last night, colin and i were walking hand in hand through our cozy little downtown busy with people. we were on the side street so it was quiet and all of the sudden a huge flock of geese flew over. the light from the lampposts cast all the way up to their bellies- highlighting them against a sky that was filled with such willowy moonlight. i looked up, alerted by their call, and just said "magical". Colin looked at me and looked up ... and we stood for that entire moment being amazed by glorious birds.
Oh my gosh, I just read the same poem this week!! Weird!! I read it over and over and just let it sink in. Ah, I feel so connected to you in this moment. Lots of love!
Thinking of you Heidi. I'm glad your break was what you needed.
Your kiddos are going to love your doggies! My mom brought her dogs and my sister hers, so we had 4 little dogs running around the house on Thanksgiving. Asher just loved watching them!
Also, I love what I can see of how you've decorated your house. I'd love to see more pics to steal ideas!
Hugs to you!
I've been feeling this too, lately...I feel like I've been holding my breath for ages, and it felt really good to just take a deep breath and experience life as it is happening, rather than waiting for what will be.
Enjoy today!
-b
Post a Comment