33 million people in the world have HIV
22 million of them are in Africa
13 million children in Africa are AIDS orphans
Please bear with me while I step onto my soap box for a moment. You see, I have this blog, and people actually seem to be reading it occasionally, and I see it as an honor, a privlidge and a duty to take your time once in a while to focus on something other than me, myself and my very long winded wait for our children!
Today is World AIDS Day - an international day dedicated to raising awareness about HIV and AIDS around the world. World AIDS Day has been held on December 1st every year since 1988. I am sorry to say that I did not know that until recently. In fact, I am sorry to say that until about a year and a half ago, when we began researching options for adopting internationally, I was at best peripherally aware and at most marginally concerned about the AIDS epidemic.
Part of my excuse is because I personally knew (know!) people in this country who are living full, normal, healthy lives with HIV due to the developments in HIV drugs and because their human rights are protected – meaning that their doctor can’t tell their boss and their boss can’t take away their livelihood and their neighbor can't run them out of their home because they are HIV positive. What I wasn't as in touch with is the fact that millions and millions of people in other countries aren't so lucky.
Another reason was because the problem felt so big, so overwhelming, what could one little person possibly do? And, truthfully, the third reason was because it felt so far removed from my own little world that it didn’t feel like my problem. How to afford that new dining room table and finish that project at work on time were my problems...
Then I read a book, and I met some people, and I watched videos of people adopting children, and now we are adopting children who most likely will have been touched by this epidemic, and certainly the country that is giving us these children has been deeply effected. Suddenly, six degrees and a few books later, my eyes are open and it has all become very personal.
If you too are wondering what one little person can do, there are a few things. And no, I’m not going to suggest that everyone adopt a child (or two!). Of course if you are lucky enough to find yourself with that calling, I will tell you that it will be one of the most rewarding experiences of your life, but clearly that is not an option for everyone so here are some other options.
1. Educate yourself. Educate others.
It costs about 40 cents a day for the 2 pills that can help keep a person living with HIV in Africa alive. This year’s theme for World AIDS Day is “human rights and access to treatment”, chosen to address the critical need to protect human rights and make HIV prevention, treatment, care and support accessible to all. The theme also acts as a call to countries to remove laws that discriminate against people living with HIV. Healthcare may not be perfect in this country but it is immensely better than what most people have. People with HIV in the United States are living normal, healthy, active lives because their human rights are protected and they have access to, and can afford, the drugs that keep the immune system healthy. Millions and millions of people outside this country do not have access to these drugs, nor do they have protection against discrimination.
2. Read a book. Recommend a book to others.
I highly recommend the book There Is No Me Without You by Melissa Faye Green. This is an incredibly moving and eye opening true story about a woman who lost a daughter to AIDS, and then opened her heart and her home to AIDS orphans in Ethiopia. I have also heard good things about, but have not read, 28: Stories of AIDS in Africa.
3. Shop. Donate.
A very easy way to support this cause is to give money. Shop (RED) or peruse the links on the side of my blog for other gift ideas and recommended Chartiy organizations.
Simple, right? No, I know, not simple at all, but even just caring enough to read this can make a difference so thank you for reading.
Stepping off the soap box now…
***I just came across this article by Parenting Magazine. Highly recommended reading.***
"Tell me, what is it you plan to do with your one wild and precious life?" ~Mary Oliver
13 comments:
VERY well stated.
Very nice post! I'm thinking of you!
Go ahead and add any of my info to your post if you want :)
I happen to know that Gladney is working on something for us and hopefully we will hear within a few weeks if all works out...can't say much more right now but stay tuned!
i'm so going to blog link this soon ... after my next really important post that will happen tomorrow.
I love how you were able to articulate everything I have been feeling for a long time. I wanted to post about today but wasn't sure how. If it's ok, I think I'll just post a link to your blog. Thank you!
AMAZING post! So well said. Hope it's okay but I am sending people here to read this! You rock!!
Thanks for your comment on my blog. I had a dream last night that you received your referral! I hope it comes true very soon. I know no matter what happens, you will be blessed with the children that were meant to be part of your family. I can’t wait for you to find out who they are!!!
thanks for the sweet comment Heidi! Are you guys on Facebook? If you are, friend me (Eryn Kesler), i don't want to miss any updates from you!
Hi! Thanks for the comment Heidi! We're getting SOOOO excited for our baby! :) And YES we LOVE our Boston- she used to be CRAZY, but now very sweet and loyal! Might have a rough time transitioning to not being our "only child." The other dog in the pic is her "cousin," my brother's dog.
PS. I linked you on my blog. It's starting to get exciting amongst Gladney families!
Thanks for posting that article :)
Maybe we'll still get our referrals close to the same time!
Heidi, thanks for your kind words and constant support. We just bought Olympus voice recorders from target. We filled both sides of the tape. I would give a heads up to your social worker that you are sending one, and hopefully it will get played.
Just saw your post on my blog. Oh my goodness!!!! If we got to travel together I would be beyond EXCITED but... I really hope you get your referral SOONER rather than later. Like, tomorrow would be nice!! :) XOXOXOXO
Thinking of you....soon
Post a Comment