This past week was one of the happiest weeks of my entire life but in some ways it was also one of the hardest. Not only was I away from home but the meetings that I had to attend started very early in the morning and ended after dinner. I had little time to myself and the work was intense, requiring my concentration, so when email after email after comment after facebook message after phone call kept pouring in, all I could do was try to ignore this explosion of love and happiness and hold in the tears of joy that kept threatening to spill forth in the most inappropriate of settings!
I have finally caught up on all your messages and let me say now what I couldn’t say then:
Thank you all so very much for your kind words and well wishes! Your happiness for us has heightened our joy and we appreciate it so very much!
If I haven't responded to you individually, please forgive me and just know that your support means so much to us.
On Friday night Mark and I made up for lost time by celebrating with a vengeance. We plastered 8 X 10 printouts of the boys to the fridge. We drank champagne. We cried tears of joy and also tears of sorrow for all that our boys and their birth family have been through. We talked excitedly and incessantly about how amazing and beautiful and amazing and beautiful these boys are. We cooked and ate more of this…
And this…
Yesterday we did a little shopping. More tears of joy happened in the parking lots of Baby Gap and Toys-R-Us as the realization that we finally knew who we were shopping for hit me square in the chest! We are excited to be sending care packages to Ethiopia in a couple days with our wait list buddies, Beka and Mika. Also traveling this week are Rebecca and Corrie and Jess. Everyone promises to snap a few pictures and dole out some love to our little ones! I have spent many, many months on the wait list with these ladies and, in spite of my delayed graduation, I think of them as my graduating class since most of us went on the wait list around the same time. Though I have never met them in person, we have shared so much that I feel I know them and they me. I am grateful to have these women in my life and so excited for them to meet the twins and to bring their own children home!!
Here’s what we wish we could send to the boys…
But no one had enough room in their suitcase, ha! So here’s what we narrowed it down to…
Going with Mika are matching soft snuggly jammies and two awesome little trucks! (No, I do not plan to dress them alike most of the time, but I just couldn't resist!)
Going with Beka are soft snuggly horses purchased on the Denver trip, and cloth photo albums with pictures of us, the dogs, the house, etc. to help the boys get used to the idea of their new family. ***Many of you have asked where to purchase these photo books. I bought them at One Step Ahead almost a year ago and I am sorry to say that they have since been discontinued.
Until we can get these guys home and in our arms, this will have to do. We have every bit of faith in our agency and we know that they are being well cared for in the meantime. OK, so what’s next and when do we get them home, you ask?
Our paperwork has been submitted to the court system in Ethiopia and now we are waiting - yes, more waiting - for a court date. There are many other families with our agency, and with other agencies, that are in the queue ahead of us so this can take time and how much time varies from case to case and month to month. During our time on the wait list we have seen families wait as much as eight months and as little as two weeks for a date. Our agency is estimating the current average wait times to be about one to two months, which is a recent change in our favor, and hopefully good news for us!
Once we are assigned a court date, the actual court appointment is typically scheduled up to one month out. Our agency takes care of all the legal proceedings on our behalf so we won't travel during this stage. Some families sail through court on the first try, while others have to go back for multiple tries. There are several reasons why a family might not pass the first time but it is a buzz kill to think about all that right now so I will write more later.
After we pass court, we will travel to Ethiopia to pick up our boys!! Our travel date will depend on when our visa appointment is scheduled with the US Embassy in Addis Ababa. Travel is typically 2-6 weeks after passing court.
So, if you add up the individual pieces, you get an average wait of 2 to 5 months to get them home. As many of you know, we have not exactly had the smoothest journey so far. Record breaking has been more our style than falling within averages but we are super hopeful that this stage of the journey will be smoother. If you are the praying kind, please pray, or cross fingers or send hopes and vibes...we are doing all of the above in hopes that we can get these guys home quickly!
Thank you again for all your well wishes. We are grateful for the support you have shown to us and our sweet little Ethiopian twins!!
"There is no remedy for love but to love more." ~Henry David Thoreau (1817 - 1862), Journal, July 25, 1839


21 comments:
So very very thrilled for you!!! Love the stuff for their packages... and I say: go ahead and dress them alike if you want to!!! Who cares? :-) My boys are 2.5 years apart and I dressed them alike as long as they would let me (which was until the oldest was about 7! It was awesome!)
Praying for BOTH our court dates to come soon!
I can sense your happiness through your writing. That is so cool. I'm with Gayla-dress them alike! And it looks like you already know to buy two of everything. My middles are 3 years apart and we have learned to buy things in pairs. Because if one of them has it, the other wants it!
Love your Thoreau quote and hope you now break records in the shortest wait to travel. Our 2 yr, 1 mo, 1 day wait for referral gave way to a 3 mo wait for travel. It felt just right. Hope you beat me!
My heart is just so happy for you guys! Sounds like you had a nice weekend celebrating and shopping :) I know we are definitely going to have to do some shopping too as soon as we get our referral.
I love the care packages, so much fun! Where did you get the photo albums?
sheesh!! I have only just discovered you guys and it seems to be a trend that every time I read your words I burst into sweet, rolling tears!!
you know, I think that the test of patience and the depth of ourselves that we must reach into during these times are gifts (call me crazy if you must) Patience and strength of spirit are two of the most key virtues a parent can possess...the more the better!!
I love the love remedy!! bring on the big, big love!!
I am over the moon happy right along with you. They are so precious, and I can't wait to see your family blend together! Joy Joy Joy to you!
Yes, we can all feel your excitement in the post and are SOOO happy for you guys!
Where did you get the fabric photo albums?
i'm not supposed to be reading i'm supposed to be writing but i'm so happy i came on and got to see the photos of the children's things!
thanks for posting them - maybe it seems silly but they just brought me so much joy seeing them and knowing they'll be surrounded by your love and caring soon!
Congrats again! How exciting!
OK - now going back to what I should be doing!
Oh BTW not sure if you're interested but i think you might work in the city - if you do and you are interested in sharing amharic lessons - i understand if you're not - i'm looking for an amharic tutor for occasional tutoring to help with pronunciation - i went to the ethiopian christmas celebration yesterday at riverside church (a must do for adults/kids/ethiopians/adoptive parents - really wonderful and so kid friendly and all of the ethiopian families (98 % of the people there) were so supportive and even had a birthday cake celebration for one of the boys, 10 now, who was adopted 5 years ago ....anyway...) i met some very nice people and think i will be able to find some language help.
if that's something your interested in send me an e-mail. don't respond if you're not of course - you have enough to do!!
That must have been so hard to be away from Mark the whole week after finally being able to see the faces of your boys. I somehow didn't connect the dots that you being on a business trip meant no Mark. Clearly, my mind was not working so great. :) I loved seeing the photos of all the stuff you are collecting for the boys and I ADORE the matching pjs. I would also like to know where you got the cloth photo albums please. :) Love to you sweet friend!!
I have sent my most positive vibes for an expeditious process. I can't wait to meet the little guys and neither can Evan who loves hanging out with younger kids and pretend to be the big brother.
LOVE that your waitlist buddies are your graduating class! That is a perfect example!!! Hoping for a fast date for you!
I promise to be the best deliverer of care packages I can be. I can't wait to meet your boys!
Enjoy your stay on Cloud 9! :)
beka
Hello Heidi,
I'm with a totally different agency and I'm also addicted to your blog!!
You are such a sweet lady! I live in California and I feel like I've known you all my life!! I can't wait for you to get these boys!! God Bless you. You are such an inspiritation to all of us! No matter what agency we all use, we are still adopting caring mothers who want to make a difference.
You make it seem so easy when I know it wasn't....
Blessings to your new family & a speedy court date......
I will email you really soon (keep an eye on your junk folder). I am so glad that you upped your age as well. I truly believe that it is well worth it. And, I figured out that the boys and M are the same age. Totally wondering if they play together. Because if they do... we are coming to visit you and the boys!
Holding out hope for a really quick court date. And if we travel before you... you must send a package for us to take.
Heidi, So Happy for you...I'm living vicariouly through you, Eryn and a few other Gladney buddies until I get my referral... Thanks so much for encouraging me...
I can't wait to deliver these adorable matching snugglie jammies and trucks! They will be delivered with love.
i just heard that there is an Ethiopian restaurant coming to mount kisco.
i've been asked to let anyone know that might be interested in getting together there
we're an hour from there in the opposite direction but will definately go.
if you're interested let me know - i'll put you on the e-mail list.
toddler boys!!!! whew baby!
Hoping you get your court date very very soon! Maybe we'll be able to travel together...I feel like all my "people" have left me, too.
Love the jammies for your boys! Mine want to dress alike even though they're boy/girl--they have lots of matching jammies.
I have two bio daughters, ages 5 and 3, and I still dress them alike whenever I can. :) just love it! and I once read that when you're out with your kids if they are in the same colors, you'll have an easier time of keeping an eye on them since you'll know what colors to look for.
we'll be putting our Gladney application in very soon - also hoping for two boys from Ethiopia! yay!!
Nominated you for a blog award...go see
So excited for you! Love the care packages and the little ponies!!
My husband is a twin, and I am so jealous! The love, the bond, the friendship he and his brother have are amazing. So glad your boys will get that!!
Post a Comment