Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Give Me Injera!

In Ethiopia Amharic is the official language but there are about 80 languages spoken throughout the country. The twins are from a region where Amharic is not the native language but since coming into Gladney's care they have been picking it up. Reportedly one of their favorite things to say in Amharic is, "Give me injera!*".

Of course Mark and I think this is to-die-for cute. Well, ok, we think pretty much everything about the boys is to-die-for cute but this thing in particular has become a bit of a catch phrase. "Give me injera! Ahem...I mean please pass the salt" or last night, "Give me injera! Ahem...I mean are you coming up to bed soon?". What can I say, we're a bit silly around here.

Unfortunately our one attempt to actually make injera failed miserably. Instead of a liquid substance that could be ladled into a pan like pancake batter, it turned into a dry ball of disgusting gook. We think the proportions in this particular recipe must be off, but it is the only recipe we have other than one that calls for Bisquick and buckwheat pancake mix which, well, that just doesn't seem right (if anyone has a good recipe that uses teff flour I'd love to get it from you!).

This means that all the lovely meals of Dora Wat and Mesir Wat and Yetakelt W'et that we have had over the past few months have been injera-less, and that just doesn’t seem right either, so I finally took the bull by the horns and did what any decent ex-New York City dweller would do…I called someone and had it delivered!

The nicest people at Zelalem Injera will make it fresh in two flavors (sour and more sour) and ship it straight to your door, anywhere in the country. Ours arrived today and it is delicious.

OK, boys, we're ready for you. We have injera!!

One order comes with a ton of injera, so unless you are feeding an army or have a big freezer, one order should be plenty.


* Injera is a type of flatbread made in Ethiopia. The bread is a staple food, served with almost every meal. True injera is made with teff flour, a gluten free flour produced from teff, a popular African grain. Injera has a distinctive sour flavor and spongy texture which makes it ideally suited to sopping up curries, stews, and other wet dishes.

14 comments:

InventingLiz said...

I feel very lucky to have a local source of injera - a convenience store in Boston owned by Ethiopians, they sell injera as well as spices!

You can freeze injera - roll them up individually, cut each one in half, and put them in ziploc freezer bags. Defrost them in the microwave.

Evelyn said...

Thanks for the link! We do NOT have any injera in the state, so this will be helpful!

Eryn said...

amazing! I didn't know you could buy it online! LOL...ps share your recipes for the other tasty dishes!

kn said...

OK - i've only gotten to the 'give me injera line' and i'm laughing

i'm going back to finish reading

kn said...

wonderful!

they may end up liking buckwheat pancakes too!
there is a wonderful buckwheat pancake mix at the health food stores - easy and delicious

but that's pancakes not injera!

where are you getting your spices?
and recipes.
i want to cook at least once a week to start.

Gayla said...

To-die-for-cute indeed!!! Love it!

Do you have recipes for those dishes you mentioned? Willing to email them to a friend??? ;-)

Lisa said...

I've tried several different recipes for injera, all have failed! Thanks so much for the link to order it. I am pretty sure I will have to resort to that :)

The Busters said...

I echo the above comments and hope you will share some of the recipes! So cute how the boys love injera!! They will be so happy you guys have it all ready for them!

Katie Morris said...

That is sooo cute! I am glad you found a good source for injera. We will have to try it. Thanks for sharing!

Leppard said...

Hi.. you left a comment on my blog so I wanted to write you back:). Congratulations on the twins. You are going to have a blast. Boys are the best. I have heard good stuff about this injera and honestly I know of few Ethiopians who make their own, so go for it. We stock up whenever we are near DC as there are great restaurants. We freeze about 10 packs at a time. I find if I put a damp paper towel in the microwave with the injera it comes out more moist. Don't forget to get Shiro powder when you are in Ethi. It is such a nice easy wat to make and the kids love it.

Brenda said...

I received this great cook book for my birthday in November: The Soul of A New Cuisine, A discovery of the foods and flavors of Africa, by Marcus Samuelsson. It is written by a gentleman who was actually adopted from Ethiopia and grew up in Sweden. He currently lives in NYC, and has a great story! The cookbook is AMAZING!
Here is the Injera recipe right from the book ( this is the only one I have had success with)

2 cups teff flour or whole wheat fl.(dont use stone-ground flour)

1 cup all-purpose flour

1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda

1 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup plain yogurt

3 cups club soda

2 tablespoons clarified butter

Whisk together the teff, flour, baking soda, and salt in large bowl. Whisk the yogurt into the club soda, then stir in the flour mixture to make a smooth, thin batter. Remove all lumps.

Grease a large skillet with the clarified butter and heat over med/high heat. Pour 1/2 cup of batter into the pan in a spiral, starting at the center, and cook for 20 seconds. Put a lid on the pan and cook for an additional 30 sec. Transfer to a plate and cover with a cloth to keep them warm while you cook the remaining injera.


Best of Luck..and Hope you get a court date soon!

Rachel Sarah said...

Appreciate the link! I'm bookmarking it. Here in the Seattle area, there is a very large Ethiopian population, but I have not searched around yet for a place to by injera. Deliver to my door sounds good though. Congrats on your twins!

Unknown said...

Thank you for sharing the link!

Cassandra Britt said...

Thanks for the link-Helen loves to chant, "injera, injera, injera!" and then I give her a pancake!
I am definitely ordering INJERA!!

Can't wait to hear more about your sweet boys!