Thursday, March 11, 2010

Changes

As many of you have heard, there were big announcements this week concerning adoptions from Ethiopia.

My week started with this notice from the US Department of State announcing a “change in processing time for adoption cases”. A knot of fear the size of a beach ball formed in my gut and I had a meltdown in the car on my way to the office when I called Mark to tell him about it. Tears and fears of the worst kind came pouring out, into and onto the phone, make-up running, sniffles and sobs. Poor Mark!

The next day our agency responded by saying that they don’t perceive this announcement to be a significant change for their families. They have always delivered gobs of paperwork to the US Embassy in Addis Ababa. The embassy has always had the option of investigating further if they found something suspect. This always had the potential to delay the children’s homecoming. We knew all of this but our agency is ethically rock solid, and we haven’t seen anyone experience this type of delay, so we weren’t too worried about it before. Now?  Now we want to believe that these new precautions will only impact agencies like this. The knot of fear in my gut only allows me to believe that time will tell.

Then, throwing salt on the wound, the federal courts in Ethiopia announced yesterday that adoptive parents will now have to travel to Addis Ababa to appear in person for their court date. Previously families only traveled one time, once the adoption was finalized. This goes into effect immediately for anyone who doesn't already have a court date, a.k.a us. Doesn't matter that we have been waiting 9 1/2 weeks for our court date. It is anticipated that this new trip will be for approximately 5 days, at which point families will have to return home without their children, and then go back another 3 to 6 weeks later for their embassy appointment. At that point the children will be allowed to enter the United States and we can bring them home. This is assuming the embassy notice mentioned above doesn’t impact anything.

Knot of fear #1, meet knot of fear #2!

What this means for us is that we will most likely (HOPEFULLY) be among the first to do this – the guinea pigs (I'm ok with that). It means significant added expense, and an unexpected week away from work (we'll manage somehow). It means we might have very little notice before getting on a plane to Ethiopia (I'm ok with that too). It means we will get to meet the boys weeks or even months sooner than expected (clearly I am ok with that!), but only for one day and then we will have to leave them in Ethiopia, return home, and wait some more (ugh, ugh, and ugh). It means this knot of fear in my stomach, now the size of one of those exercise balls at the gym, probably isn’t going to go away for a while.

It also, hopefully, means that disreputable agencies will be stopped. That child trafficking will be thwarted. That idiots people like this won’t have the chance to adopt children and then return them like a pair of shoes that didn’t fit. This needs to happen, and I think these new measures will help.

Side note: If you are reading this and thinking about adopting from anywhere, DO YOUR HOMEWORK. Find a reputable agency. Read about how hard the transition might be. Think about how much your life is going to change and whether you are ready for that. Find a support group. Understand that your child(ren) will very likely have some condition – medical, emotional, physical, developmental – that you were not aware of or prepared for! These risks apply to biological children too and just like biological children, adopted children are FOREVER. OK, stepping down off the soapbox...

You may have noticed that I am a glass half full kind of girl so here’s the good news...

1. WE GET TO MEET THE TWINS instead of moping around CT waiting to pass court! It’s not like that week was going to be a particularly productive one anyway!! And it might...oh, please, please please...happen soon.

2. WE GET TO EXPERIENCE ETHIOPIA, our beloved adopted country, TWICE! We were already planning to go over early to travel outside of Addis. Now we’ll just go to Addis twice instead. Mark has been sending me links all morning to the things he wants to do and see.

3. This change will also, hopefully, make things easier on the birth family, who wants to meet us and us them, but who would have had to make two long, arduous and heartbreaking trips to Addis – once for court and then again to meet us. Now we will all be there for the court date (hopefully!).

4. We are lucky. We can take the time off from work. We don’t have any children (YET) and the dogs will just have to suck it up at the kennel an extra week. Financially, well, I feel a little woozy about that one but we will figure it out. It won’t be easy but we can do it. We are now grateful (gasp) that we have had two years to save for the unexpected. My heart goes out to the families who will have more of a struggle with these things.

Honestly, I am excited - if I would let myself it would be bouncing off the walls excited - about getting on that plane and meeting those boys sooner than later. I would do it tomorrow if I could.

And finally, all of this really isn’t unexpected. Every time something about this hit the media or the big Ethiopian adoption Yahoo Group, I would get a little breathless with panic, because this is exactly the kind of thing that shut the doors to international adoption in Vietnam and Guatemala. I am grateful that measures are being put in place to manage the unethical practices and hopeful that it means adoptions in Ethiopia can continue for as long as there are children in need of homes.

So...deep breaths. No one said this was going to be easy and since when do Mark and I do things the easy way anyway?

Onward…

P.S. If you are reading this and thinking it would have been nice of me to call you with these developments, please forgive me. I am a little worn out by all of it and thought it would be better to give all the details here. Please don't worry about us. We're tougher than we look!

23 comments:

Ellen Enright said...

What an awesome post. It's interesting you are calling it a knot of fear in your stomach. I've been describing it the same way. I woke up this morning, and the knot was so physical, and it isn't letting up, other than sometimes rising to my throat and feeling like I need to cry again.
I love your post though, and you just made me feel better.

InventingLiz said...

Glad you are keeping a positive attitude about the changes!

Honestly, if this rule had been in plce while I was still thinking about where to adopt from, I might have ruled out Ethiopia...now, I am thinking about adopting again from Ethiopia at some point down the road, and I feel like I would just make it work. Funny how your perspective can change...

Evelyn said...

The important thing in all of this is your boys! Your boys! You get to see them soon! Though I confess this might have broken me way down in my wait. Glad you are realizing your toughness. You can do this! Solidarity with the waiters and can't wait to hear of your sooner than expected trip to Ethiopia!

Rebecca said...

you are so right on. i love you. it's going to be awesome to go twice. i mean, obviously it's going to be more stressful, chaotic, emotional, yada yada yada ... BUT ... it will be wonderful. you are my hero. my lovely friend. you're a rock star!!!

Alex said...

Oh man, I would have a bit more than stomach knots. Sorry to hear about these developments. Of course in the end, it will only delay things a bit, hopefully not a huge deal.

I think you need to write a book/screenplay about this.

Anita said...

Hang in there, Heidi and Mark. Every day is one day closer to when you will see your little boys.

Cassandra Britt said...

I have been thinking of you and all of the other families (waiting for their court dates and referrals) all day. I am so glad you have a positive attitude about this situation that is beyond anyone's control. Hope you get your court date soon!!

Kristy said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE how upbeat you are about all of this. The changes are there like them or not...good for you for enjoying your lemonade with the lemons that you were given. :-)

Kelly said...

It is a big new set of hoops to jump through, but you are right that they are doing it for all the right reasons. I almost wish it had been required when we went through this...just so we would have had that much more time in Ethiopia. There are so many incredible places to see, but when we travelled to bring Tigist home, that was so all-consuming that I couldn't focus at all on any of the sight seeing. Maybe this will give you a chance to get your bearings and get around the country. Thanks for writing so eloquently about what you're experiencing.

Tam said...

Oh my, Heidi, oh my.
I had no idea about any of this. Oh my.

I really really really love your glass-half-full attitude. It is the ONLY way to go about international adoption.

I just want you to have your boys. Please oh please!

xoxo

Tam and Kai - NYC said...

yes, we will continue making lemonade out of this together!
i love how you told the story. can i just refer everyone to your blog when these things happen?
thinking of you guys so much over the past few days.
now COME ON court date!!!
xo

Lori said...

How frustrating Heidi! We are all thinking of you and Mark and the boys. Stay positive and hang in there. xoxo

Anonymous said...

Great post Heidi! Soak up every moment of Ethiopia...it will change you forever!

Claudia said...

We had to go twice.

It was tough.

But I'm glad we did it.

Elyssa said...

My anxiety level rose as I read this, but your attitude is so positive that I know you will get through this.

sko3 said...

Two things:
First one of our families is in ET right now and our in-country representative told her that there is a meeting next week with the adoption reps and the courts---the adoption reps are trying to talk them out of it. So our agency is taking the "it ain't over until the fat lady sings" perspective.

Second, the nice part is that you won't have to re-adopt, since you will meet them before court.

Third (did I say two? I lied), I got caught up in a similar snafu. I had to wait 10 weeks for my daughter to go through TB testing (only to have that decision repealed while i was IN ET) and I had to wait 3 weeks in-country for a visa (only to have that decision repealed 2 months after we returned). In both cases, on the other side, I can see the benefit to my daughter and to me from those delays. It stunk while in the middle of it, but it was a good thing in the end.

Fourth (oh, I was so lying about 2). I so wish I had gotten to see more of the country. I just couldn't with her--rules, of course, but also, it's all I wanted to do was be with her. This way, you can sight-see the first time around.

I love your attitude. Keep thinking happy thoughts!

Jenn said...

Thoughts & prayers are with you, Sweetie-- hang in there...

Jess said...

In 2008,when we adopted our son, a huge investigation was launched at the agency that processed his paperwork. We waited almost 4 months, not knowing if we would be parents to this little boy whose pictures we cried over, clutched to our hearts. We had weekly conference calls, the police were involved, everything was at a standstill. It was a mess. I cried every day, begging my husband to tell me it would work, I just had to hear it from someone! It will work out, I promise you! It's absolute hell, this roller coaster, but the end is so, so, so sweet. People would tell me, "you will forget all about this mess once he's home", and you know, I haven't. I am thankful for my son every single day, and the memories from that time make me a better, more patient parent, I swear. I just want you to know that it will happen, it will!!! And the pain,and the wait...you'd do it over again, just to have that sweet, sweet ending...the boys in your arms. When I read about the changes, you came to mind instantly, and I"m praying for you, thinking of you! I know this is hard!!!

Meredith said...

Such a great post! I hope you do squeak through before the changes are effective, but even if you don't - it seems like you have the perfect attitude! Thanks also for commenting on guzo - we were at the larchmont picnic last year, so you probably did meet my husband. Would love to reconnect with you.

karlajk said...

What an excellent post! From a fellow Gladney family that just stumbled onto your blog. Just passed court Friday. Thinking of you as you move forward in the process.

the Melodious Mama said...

half full!! yes!! I might need you to remind me about this when I post again about the coin jar ((sigh)) anyway...those boys will be in your arms so soon and two trips...amazing! half full! yup....ducks and Dori♥
xoxo

Lisa said...

I know I'm a little late responding to this, but I just had to comment and tell you what a wonderful post you wrote. I was tempted to just link my blog to it :) Hopefully this week will be a little less emotionally eventful! Fingers crossed!

Eryn said...

Oh my. I'm with you. I think I have a new ulcer or two. Then it gets better, then I get another. Oh. MY.