Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Like a Duck

Nine weeks and one day.

It was warm yesterday and I am clinging to hopeful images of spring. Images of the boys planting peas and spinach in the garden with me, or throwing a ball and having it land in the garden. Small hands digging in the dirt, toys littering the yard, running, laughter. I want to grow more laughter in our garden this spring.

In the meantime, I am trying to remember the duck in this poem, and to be a little more like him.

The Duck
by Donald Babcock

Now we're ready to look at something pretty special.
It is a duck, riding the ocean a hundred feet beyond the surf.
No it isn't a gull. A gull always has a raucous touch about him.
This is some sort of duck, and he cuddles in the swells.

He isn't cold, and he is thinking things over.
There is a big heaving in the Atlantic, and he is a part of it.
He looks a bit like a mandarin, or the Lord Buddha meditating under the Bo tree.
But he has hardly enough above the eyes to be a philosopher.
He has poise, however, which is what philosophers must have.

He can rest while the Atlantic heaves, because he rests in the Atlantic.
Probably he doesn't know how large the ocean is.
And neither do you.
But he realizes it.

And what does he do, I ask you?
He sits down in it!
He reposes in the immediate as if it were infinity — which it is.
He has made himself a part of the boundless by easing himself into just where it touches him.

I like the duck.
He doesn't know much.
But he's got religion.

9 comments:

the Melodious Mama said...

this rocks!! yes...be like the duck...here, now, in the moment. I need to remember this to, manifest my inner duck.

quack:)

The Busters said...

I love this! Yes, I definitely need to remind myself to be a duck. Just let the water wash over me. Thinking of you always!! Love you!

kn said...

wonderful. truly.
if i wrote this
(i wish!)
i would have changed one line...
'he reposes in infinity as if it were the immediate'

love this - thanks for sharing
needed it today

yes, spring and gardens
and balls falling into it
(or breaking a window or two!)

Katie Morris said...

I love all of the images of spring you have painted in your mind and now in mine. The boys will bring such joy to your life and I know you can’t wait for them to be home. We keep dreaming of things we will do with Sophie this spring and summer. We can’t wait.

Robyn said...

Hoping you hear something soon! Goodness I wish the court dates would start flying out!

Karen said...

What a wonderful post. I can visualize your boys laughing and playing in your garden as I type this. Fingers crossed that your court date comes very very soon.

Lisa said...

I too find myself often thinking of a little one helping me in the garden and playing in the yard as we work outside. Although, I'm not sure how much gardening is going to be happening this year :)

Rebecca said...

"if you're a bird, then i'm a bird"

Tam and Kai - NYC said...

very poignant...this is going to be one court date the whole community celebrates! xo