Yesterday marked three weeks together as a family and tomorrow marks two weeks home. It feels like so much longer than that, and at the same time like we have only just met.
I will not tell a lie—our first few weeks of parenthood have had many challenges. At my sickest and most sleep deprived I wondered if I should have my head examined for jumping into parenthood with two year old twin boys. Of course I knew it would be hard. I have read Melissa Fay Greene. I have read many books on adopting and parenting not to mention all the adoptive and biological mothers who gave me similar advice, but on some level I just didn’t think it would be this hard!
That said, it has also been lots of fun. Once we regained some health, caught up on sleep and developed a fairly predictable routine things started looking up. The boys reeeaaallly like routine. Dash informed me that it was nap time yesterday, and Taye never fails to remind me that he is due for a snack or a meal upon waking. They both remind me to turn the music on during meal time and they giggle like crazy when I dance for them. OK, Mark laughs at me too and no, I will not be posting a video of that!
I know we still have a looong way to go but our life together is starting to resemble what I had hoped, and I love these little guys beyond words. I dare say they are starting to love us too :-)




23 comments:
Thank you so much for sharing! What beautiful baby boys!!! You are BLESSED!
yup. Motherhood. The BEST job in the world and also the HARDEST. No matter how much you prepare, how many kids you've been around...until you have one (or two!) that you cannot give back and sleep in on Saturday morning, well you just don't/can't know. There is no way to prepare yourself for that amazing feeling and that awesome responsibility.
Has anyone told you that once you start getting into a groove they will change it up on ya? Yeah, probably not. ;)
p.s. I'm loving the image of gigglin' boys and mama dancing around the kitchen!
So so so so so great.
Just so so so so so so great.
:-)
Yep. Ditto that.
I love to quote my friend who says parenting is exhausting and exhilarating. Routines and schedules really help! And if they nap at the same time, make sure to take some time for yourself.
bea is besotted. we watched the video like ten times and she kept signing "more please". she was excited that they said "please" and also signed along when you said "can you say please?". then she would clap and laugh. besotted ... completely - the both of us. love you and hope to talk soon.
oh and the l, m, n, o, p as l, m mama, p is the cutest thing ever!
what are those cute tricycly things they are riding on?
Looks like you are finding your new normal! Aren't twins fun? I love my plasma cars; even my teenager uses it! They work great on wood floors. They are stinking cute.
I don't think anyone expects it to be as hard as it actually is, even when you are expecting it to be hard! You're doing great!
ok...the video. I LOVE that he sings "effin G" like he's swearing or something and "L N Mama P" THey are SO CUTE. As for the hardness...yeah, there is just no way possible anyone can understand just how hard it will be until you are IN IT, ya know? I think that is the only reason we all go through with the whole having a family thing. If we really got how hard it would be no one would have kids! It looks like you are doing a great job...and in those moments when you think "i'm not doing anything right" (and we all have those moments) look back at these pictures and acknowledge that at least you know how to dress them adorably. That counts for something :-)
Oh, I love the videos!
I'm so impressed with his singing! In 2 languages, no less!
xoxo
I've been thinking about you guys a lot lately. Sounds like you are battling all those mountains and molehills with grace beyond what I've ever had. The boys look fabulous. Keep up the great mom-work!
Oh my gosh! They are just too cute for words!
I'm glad things are starting to feel settled. It must be SUCH an adjustment!
I have been reading your blog for awhile now. Congratulations! The boys are gorgeous, I love the picture where they are helping dad. It all gets easier!
I love your style too, the way you dress them, outfitted their room.
Enjoy!
You and Mark are a great team!
I like what Jennifer said about finding your new normal. Very fitting.
You're doing an amazing job :)
Those kiddos are so precious! I love the videos. Finally had some time to watch them today. Motherhood is so time consuming! I had no idea. Miss all you guys!
I like the word brutal. Hard is like...dieting. Dieting is hard. Parenthood is brutal. Sleep deprivation is a serious form of torture. So is the first day you drop them at school, the first time you let grandma take them on an overnight trip (my sister-in-law is going through this) and so much more.
They are incredibly gorgeous! And those songs...delicious!
totally adorable. But oh, the work, the work, the WORK! You must be exhausted. Yor're doing a great job!
Oh my, they are so adorable!! I love the singing. I can't imagine all the change and adjustment you are going through and how exhausting it must be. I love you and am here for you!!!
PS - I showed the video you took to my friends at home this weekend and every single one of them started to cry when you started to cry!!! :) Those videos have been amazing!
I LOVE it! They are so cute and your family is beautiful. You have waited so long and I am so, so happy for you. The transition home was difficult for us and we have a baby, so I am sure it would be very hard with toddler boys. You are doing a great job and they look super happy!
welll, I have a million thing s I'd love to say except that, well...my brain seems to have left the building, nabbed by some small child who now has it happily tucked under his pillow ;) lol, yup, the whole mama thing is a whole hell of a lot more challenging then its possible to know until you are waist deep in it. that said I do occasionally wonder if I am certifiable wanting to add twins (or siblings) to this already very full house. ok. I don't wonder, I KNOW I am completely nutts....kinda have to be to do this job:)
keep on keepin' on guys! your doing great, finding the balance and settling into routine is so key...you've got it!
oh, and thanks for filling us up with all these little taste of your yummy wee men!
so...after 3 weeks, can you tell which twin is which yet? they are soooo identical!
Post a Comment