Monday, June 7, 2010

One Week Home - The Unexpected

Time has taken on new dimensions around here as we adjust to being a family. We are dealing with some behavioral issues, as one would expect, and bed time/meal time have been somewhat challenging as the boys adjust to the many new things in their lives. We have one boy who will eat anything and everything and another who spits out anything and everything that isn't made of bread or bananas, but overall they are doing great and are full of kisses, giggles and lots of mischief. When people told us we were going to have our hands full, they weren't kidding!

They always tell you to expect the unexpected in International Adoption. For us the unexpected has come in two forms. One, they appear to be quite a bit younger than we thought they were. We have seen several doctors over the past two weeks and all, including those at the International Adoption Clinic at Yale, think they are closer to two than three years of age. It is not uncommon for the ages of older adopted children to be off but usually the children are older, not younger, than expected!

The other surprise is that they both think their name is Degaye and neither respond to nor can even pronounce the name Derebe. They even call each other Degaye! A birth family member was able to confirm who is who (and it is the opposite of what Gladney thought) but in the interest of minimizing confusion we have decided to transition them to their middle names. They are responding suprisingly well to these new names already; Dash (short for Dashura which was their birth father's name) and Taye (a shortened version of an Ethiopian name chosen by us).

Oh, and a third surprise! In spite of what we were told six months ago, they are definitely NOT potty trained!

As for me, unfortunately I brought home more than two cute little boys from Africa and have been battling a nasty respiratory infection, a fever (which is finally gone), a mysterious rash (which thankfully is also subsiding) as well as a few of the more common ailments people return from Ethiopia with. Good times! I am still very much on a sleep when they sleep schedule and probably will continue to be until these health issues clear up but don't give up on me. I promise at some point I will write about our trip!

For now I leave you with this...



P.S. The camera survived!

30 comments:

Rebecca said...

sorry to hear that your are sick. that was me just a few months ago. i love their middle names! what a crazy and wonderful adventure so far. love you!!!!!!

Amy said...

My, my, they are just beautiful, and they look like they are so much fun! Glad to hear the camera survived, and they got a kick out of their water playground (and splashing the camera maybe?). I hope you are feeling better soon! Congratulations and I am glad you made it home safe and sound.

More Dorrs said...

Love it! The splashing, the kissing, the drinking...your boys are home!!! Home!!!

Eryn said...

ah...yes. Little Ethiopian friends (as in, parasites). I told Matt if I don't quit feeling Nauseous in a day or two, i too will get checked for Giardia. Blech.

Happy Home week! E

Jennifer said...

They do definitely look very "two-ish". They are the cutest non-potty trained little hands-full ever!
My friends who brought home twin boys also both answered to Ermias, and neither to Elias. The parents were SO confused.

Claudia said...

ha! I wish i had a dollar for everyone who stops me in the supermarket and says 'you've got your hands full!' The world's most overused twin cliche. But the worst part is, it's so TRUE!!!!

Yours are delicious :)

Tam and Kai - NYC said...

So glad you're feeling better and wishing you a full & speedy recovery to what lingers. They are simply perfect! I really like the names you've chosen.
I gasped a little when I saw that little cup of water headed toward you & the camera and then screamed when it came flying. I'm glad it survived for the many more 'action' shots to come!
Get some rest guys!
xo

Evelyn said...

Sounds amazingly challenging and fun all at once! Very cute boys!

The Busters said...

I am so sorry you have been sick. I can't imagine bringing home two boys and illness along with it. Ugh. I will be thinking of you and hoping you get better soon!
Oh but the splashing is so cute!! They look like they are having so much fun. So glad you are home!!

Cassandra Britt said...

Welcome to parenthood!!
They are so cute-and little stinkers-just like their buddy, Helen. She opened up nail polish at the store this morning and it went everywhere!!
I was a little surprised when I read on your blog a bit back that they were 2 1/2-but I am not a great judge of age! Sometimes I think Helen is 5-just short. Just so thankful that whatever age our babies are, they are happy and healthy! Feel better soon.
Cassandra

Engendo said...

They are so mush! I am really excited for you!

Mika K. Reynolds said...

Ah the illness (I've truly never been so sick in my life)... wishing you a speedy recovery! And in the meantime, I am just loving the words and images of the love and mischief in Connecticut. Tom and I watched the water coming directly at you over and over last night.

InventingLiz said...

Hope you are feeling better soon! And sorry about the potty training - I am eternally grateful that I didn't have to go through that with Elfe!

I remember Sheila mentioning once that it is common in Ethiopia for twins to have essentially the same name, you might check with her about it (if she doesn't chime in herself here).

Sara said...

Yay! A HOME video! Hope you feel 100% soon!

Leah said...

Wow! The unexpected is right! We received our referral last month, and if our baby boy is the age they say he is, he is no where near the charts for his weight and height. I'm wondering if that will be adjusted when we bring him home. Your sons are gorgeous, and I hope you start feeling much better.

Btw. . . found your blog through Emily's who said you took pictures of her boy when you were in Ethiopia. How wonderful! :)

Tracie said...

Teee Heeee Heeee -- I had a naughty giggle too when he threw the water at the camera! :-) Too cute!!!

sko3 said...

Hope the YIAC was a good experience. I think I referred you to them (or was it another family?).
They do look more 2 than 3 to me, too...probably they guessed at birthdates and guessed incorrectly.

Hope you feel better!
love the boys!

Karen said...

Love, love the video. How funny! Luke & Noah have that same water table. Hours of wet fun, right?


xxoo

Michele said...

new to your blog, but absolutely adore your new family and congratulations. we hope to adopt from ET in the near future (we still have 2 young ones for now) and I'm traveling there in a few weeks for some volunteer work. anyway, wanted to say hello and what beautiful boys you have.

Amy said...

So fun and adorable!

Kat & Stacy said...

i can't. I just can't. that video is too much! from you knowing how to say car in amharic (?...amharic?) to him knowing to go kiss dada...seriously. I am DONE! too too cute. I've been out of town so am just seeing all of your homecoming videos and am sitting here bawling. today is our 1 yr referral-versary so I am particularly emotional today. these videos just make me so happy. i've got a thing for twins and you'res are pretty cute. So so happy for you!!!!

Lori said...

That is just so darn cute! Nicholas just ran over to get his "Mahkina". Love it!

Molly said...

Yay for homecoming and happy toddlers. Feel better soon!

mchaissonflynn said...

oh my god Heidi this is so great and I have to admit Joe and I smiled at the challenges as frankly bed time is "somewhat challenging" at our house every night too. It is all so cool and all I can think of is the first time we met Mark (pre Heidi) and caught u pwith friends with two young boys and there was Mark, throwing rocks in the water with the kids making instant little friends! xoxo

Tracy said...

"It's all over the camera!" My husband and I both cracked up laughing...so glad the camera survived!

Gayla said...

So sorry you are sick, but DANG those boys are cute!!! LOVE the names. Hope you feel better soon! We are all dying to hear all about them and your adventures!

Anonymous said...

Mark and Heidi

I'm overwhelmed with pride and
happiness for both of you. Can't
wait to meet my new nephews.

Eileen

the Melodious Mama said...

they are so yummy!! and are very much closer to two then 3!
hope you feel better soon mama. it seems to be the trend that the home stretch includes a sick mama...maybe because we feel a bit of relief when our children are is our arms? sending you oddles of restful lovin's!

Cindy said...

Beautiful Boys!

Lisa said...

Just re-watched both videos with Liya on my lap. She was totally enthralled!