Monday, October 4, 2010

Books


When we first got home, the boys had little interest in books other than as objects of destruction. They would throw them. They would tear out pages and rip off peek-a-boo flaps, but they would not let me read them.

Some time in July, after daily attempts at "reading" that usually ended in frustration, they discovered this book. It was a turning point and a life line. We read it over and over and over again. We recited it in lines to pass the time and we quoted our favorite parts to get  through scary doctor's visits. It turned bed time from a festival of tears into an enjoyable activity. In many ways I think it bridged the communication gap we were all struggling to get over.

These days our floors and tables and beds are littered with books. We read in the morning before going downstairs for breakfast, before naptime on days when I work from home and, of course, before bed at night. I read to them and they read to me and to each other. Scratch and sniff and peek-a-boo flap books, once without a chance of survival, have become the new favorites. Each week I comb through stacks, previously set aside because they were too advanced, only to find that there are very few books left in those stacks. We read this book for the first time last week. Am I the only one who has a hard time getting through that one without holding back tears?

When I imagined being a parent, reading was one of the things I imagined most, and it is such joy to have arrived at this place. Santa needs some recommendations...what books do your kids love?

24 comments:

Claudia said...

oh,I really envy you! We have a LOT of problems with readin books together. they both love it, but neither of them can handle sharing the experience- it turns into a huge, huge tear-fest for both of them, but especially baby girl. It is really difficult, because reading together was one of hte experiences I was looking forward to most as well. I'm hping it will get better as they get older. Until then, I'm thining of getting them separate copies of 'dear zoo' because at the moment, I'm having to hide it in a cupboard so they don't fight over it. Sigh.

ELYSSA said...

We have enjoyed anything by Mo Willems, the book No David by David Shannon, and Ferdinand by Robert Lawson. It's also fun to re-visit all of the Curious George and Richard Scarry books from our youth.

Kim said...

We are still waiting for referral, but our bio kids have always loved any Dr. Seuss. They loved to listen to it before they could read, and now that they read themselves, they are still favorites.

InventingLiz said...

Elfe loves all the Sandra Boynton books too! You should also try the Spot the dog series, very cute! And the Snowy Day - get them ready for what's to come!

We also like books in the Jump at the Sun series - classic fairytales re-told with characters who are African-American.

How I was Adopted and Star of the Week are good for adoption-related themes.

And this is a bit self-serving, but you might want to check out this other blog that I have...

http://barefootliz.blogspot.com/

Have fun!

Gayla said...

Okay... you are speaking my language here!!!

A GREAT read-aloud is a book called 'Cinder Eyed Cats' by Eric Rohm. It's a book w/ amazing drawings and text that almost needs to be whispered! It's beautiful and intense and I love it! It was a fav of both my boys. Avé still isn't quite into it just yet. But someday...

And another fav that you HAVE to buy JUST FOR YOU is a book called 'You Are My I Love You' by Marianne Cusimano. But be prepared to WEEP YOUR EYES OUT EVERY FREAKING TIME YOU READ IT!!! Seriously. I just read the first page in a book store and got choked up and had to buy it. And it took me MONTHS to read it w/o choking up. Beautiful.

YES on the Mo Willems- they will be into those right away. And YES of course to Dr. Seuss. Genius. And as you already discovered, Sandra Boynton is a genius also! You would love her Doggy book- learning to count w/ dog barks!

Okay... enough for now. But I may think of other must-haves and come back! :-)

Lari said...

The Moo, baa, lalala book is a fave around here too. We love Sandra Boyton and Eric Carle. Their books are so simple, silly and fun.

Heather said...

ok everyone mentioned some of my top ten...
but the Llama llama books are great. Davis loves them!
Llama Llama Red Pajama
Llama Llama Mad at Mama

Duck on a Bike

If you Give a Mouse a Cookie

Favs that are longer (they will be ready for longer before you blink!)
Bad Case of Stripes
Chrysanthemum

Jennifer said...

They will love Llama Llama....that is the first book my girls would want to read! Spot lift-the-flap books are great for 2-3 yr olds. The Napping House. Harold and the Purple Crayon. Harry the Dirty Dog. Chicka Chicka Boom Boom. Corduroy.

Mary R said...

I love you stinky face by Lisa McCourt and all the Mercer Mayer books.

Beth said...

I saw snuggle puppy in your picture. My daughter is 18 months and that is her favorite book. We read it about 30 times a day and sadly, I'm not joking. She can't get enough of it. We also love Mother for Chocco but I still tear up every time I read it. My daughter loves all of the little critter books by Mercer Mayer.

Rose K. said...

Am putting together a big list for a couple of lil ones myself, Heidi, most of which are my faves when I was little: Stop that Ball!, Ferdinand the Bull, Are you my mother, Bread and Jam for Frances, A Birthday for Frances, Bedtime for Frances, Uncle Wiggily, Swimmy, Story of Ping, Tikki Tikki Tembo, Corduroy, Robert the Red Horse, and of course the Velveteen Rabbit, to just name a few....some might be a little old for them now but they will love them eventually hahaha

Kat & Stacy said...

Our the twins also LOVE books. It's their #1 toy. we have a book box in every room of the house. This habit is blessed in 2 ways: 1-my sister-in-law is a children's librarian and 2-we have the world's best children's bookstore in LA, Children's Book World. Between those 2 we have a great collection of books I had never heard of before (I tend to gravitate towards my personal faves, R Scarry, and other classics). So here are our twins current top 5 faves: Little Blue Truck-it's longish but they have loved it since they were 8 months and it still gets read once a day. Comes as a board book. Goodnight Gorilla--just given to us and they have already read it to pieces (literally). I know a Rhino - comes as a board book, I swear if they could talk they would recite it. Please Baby Please (by Spike Lee-the little girl in the illustrations IS my Baby Girl :-) and lastly, which is an odd one but they LOVE IT--a 4 book series called How Artists See Jr. Each one is about one subject- babies, horses, trains and dogs -and then it has 10 or so famous paintings of those things. Keith Haring's Baby or Monet's trains. No words-just picts. The twins are OBSESSED with each one. It's weird but kinda cool. oh and of course Moo Baa La La La and Hippos go Berserk :-)

Eryn said...

Ahhhh. It's been awhile since I blogged/visited blogs. Miss yours! So nice to see those healthy looking boys!

Books. Lucy is not yet really into books, except one...which the boys love to read to her.

But, we love Goodnight Moon, of course. Olivia books by Ian Falconer, No David by David Shannon or any other David Shannon books...we LOVE the Pirate books by Melinda Long, illustrated by David Shannon. How I became a Pirate and Pirates Don't change Diapers are BIG faves around here right now. Cordouroy books by Don Freeman or Dandelion by Don Freeman....I love the Newberry and Caldecott award winners and have found lots of our faves off those lists. Our Santa really likes shopping Goodwill/thriftstores for great books.

One I plan to buy for Lucy for Christmas is called the Night You Were Born by Nancy Tillman. I stumbled on it in our local book heaven, Powells, and cried when I read it waiting to travel. It's SO beautiful and describes the earth celebrating when the child was born...which I loved, since we don't exactly know her birth story. I like to think about the whole world celebrating her entrance to the world. :) Love to the Newcombe Fam!!

The Busters said...

I am so glad the boys are starting to get interested in books! We have the "Moo Baa La" book but I hadn't read it to Ezra yet so in honor of your boys we read it for the first time this morning. Verdict - He loved it!! Ezra's current favorite is "Whose Knees are These?" and I took him to B&N yesterday to see about getting it for a friend. I asked the worker if they had it and when I said the title Ezra got the biggest smile on his face. Not a coincidence in my opinion! I highly recommend it!!

Anonymous said...

We love Moo Baa La La La. I read it in funny voices!

Recs--
Jamberry
Guess how much I love you
What's the matter little Pookie?
Strega Nona
Goodnight Gorilla (love it so much more than goodnight moon)
My son has a great sense of humor and loves all books by Jon Scieszka.
And of course--Where the wild things are-- read with great funny voices!

Sara said...

I could hardly keep myself together when my son asked where Choco's mother was.

Oh the joy of books. Some of our favorites are -
-Please Baby Please
-Freight Train
-The Monster at the End of this Book (starring Grover from Sesame Street)
-My People (Langston Hughes poem with lovely close up photos of African Americans by Charles Smith)
-For you are a Kenyan Child (beautifully illustrated book about a boy's day in a rural Kenyan village)
- Shades of Black by Sandra Pickney
- First the Egg

Jennifer said...

Just LOVE the picture. You have enough book ideas, but I had to tell you how handsome they look.. I remember your photos pre kids of when you were leaving for the airport. Time has FLOWN!

Anonymous said...

I agree with Jennifer, you have enough book ideas, those two little sweeties are simply BEAUTIFUL!!!!! I can't wait to see Christmas pictures this year at your house, I can only imagine, awwww......

Love,
Lorrie xoxo

We Are Family said...

Again I always love your posts. I do have a book suggestion. He's Got The Whole World In His Hands. By Kidar Nelson

Blessings. You seem to be such a great mamma :)

Heidi said...

Thanks for these amazing book recommendations, everyone! I picked up several of them last weekend and have the rest on my Amazon wish list. You people rock!

Charlie said...

Snuggle puppy is one of Zadie's favorite! I think the only book that can top it is 'Brown bear'!

Christy. said...

We are finally at the book reading stage too and I LOVE it!! I second what someone said about Llama Llama books, Bereket loves Llama Llama misses Mama.

The H Family said...

Our favorites that we always send to friends as baby gifts:
Is Your Mama a Llama
Silly Sally
Napping House
I Know a Rhino
Good Night, Gorilla

For books that show different cultures, we also like More, More, More Said the Baby; Global Babies; How to Make an Apple Pie and See the World

Mika K. Reynolds said...

I am just seeing this post now, but thought I would add a few of Kip's faves that haven't been mentioned:
The Circus Ship (we read this at least twice a day)
Snuggle Up, Sleepy Ones
This Little Chick
Sleepy Bears
Tugga Tugga Tugboat