First our case worker called to ask us if we would be interested in increasing our age preference to pursue a sibling pair that was about to become available. She could not tell us anything about these children other than their ages, but as I listened to her talk on the other end of the phone, all I could think was, “That’s not them”. I asked her a few questions, most of which she couldn’t answer, but mostly I just kept asking, “Are you SURE we haven’t been matched yet??” I just couldn’t shake the feeling that the children she was talking about weren’t the ones meant for our family. She said she wasn't sure. There was the possiblity that the in country staff had matched us and she didn't know about it yet. After talking it over with Mark, who had the same gut reaction, we called her back to tell her that we wanted to keep our age preference unchanged.
The days that followed were some of the most difficult of my life. I had many moments of doubt and was deeply saddened by our decision to turn this sibling group away, even though I was certain that another family would accept the referral and that they were not the children meant for our family. I was distraught at the prospect of waiting another several months. We had been pretty sure that we would have our children home for the holidays and now it seemed that we wouldn’t even have a referral to celebrate by then. I was a mess.
Six days later, I was standing in a train station when I received another call from our case worker. Again she was asking if we wanted to increase our age preference in order to pursue a sibling pair that was about to become available. She still couldn’t tell me much about them, couldn’t share pictures, but this time she was able to tell me age and gender.
“Fourteen month old twin boys” she said.
“THAT’S THEM!” screamed the voice in my head. In July, Mark and a good friend and I had written our predictions on a blackboard in our kitchen. I had written "14 month old twin boys".
Turned out they were 26 months old, but that's another story...
It was extremely tough waiting another couple months for our referral. People would tell me, "At least the holidays will keep you distracted", but at that point nothing could distract me and the holidays just made me sad that we had no children to celebrate with.
With one hundred percent certainty, I can say that these are the children that were meant for our family, and every minute of that extra wait...I would do it again and again and again to get to my boys.
| Early December 2009 Photo taken one month pre-referral thanks to the Britt Family |
![]() |
| November 2010 |
If you are still waiting, maybe trying to forget that you thought you would already have your children home for the holidays, hang in there. You will be writing a post like this one too next year, and saying a prayer of thanks that you followed your heart to the child or children at your Thanksgiving table.
![]() |
| Worth the wait |


27 comments:
LOVE IT!
I have experienced some of those same htoughts and feelings. KNOWING our kids WILL come home soon :)
Thank you. I needed this. We've hit the 22 mo. mark and will likely see 25. I'm exhausted. To say the least.
I LOVE this post. Thank you. Thank you for sharing a piece of your heart. Wise words - & meaningful ones - for sure!
It's so true - the wait fades to nothing pretty quickly after you become a family! So glad your boys found their way to you!
I love this story! Has hope and faith written all over it. Nevermind-your boys are so freaking adorable.
Thank-you for this post... I'm crying while I type this because although I feel so defeated by the wait at this point your words fill me with hope and faith. I always say that I would have waited forever for Charlotte and I would have and I know I will and would do the same for the twins...There are just certain moments when I feel hopeless... Your boys are perfect and your family is adorable!
Blessings,
j
www.beneaththeacaciatree.com
A beautiful post, Heidi.
Worth the wait... so worth it...
So sweet, Heidi! Absolutely!
I love this post! Yes, your boys are your boys!
The wait is unbelievably hard. For those of us who waited for you to get that referral, we celebrate and give thanks along with you! So glad your boys are home!
Oh, so worth the wait :)
Funny how you just know, isn't it? They are just scrumptious!
LOVED this!! This was us last year at this time. Being told our wait would be 2-3 months and we were sitting at 6 months at Thanksgiving time. I remember feeling sad on Christmas having thought our fourth child would be home by then.
It wasn't until March that we would get our referral but we know without a shadow of a doubt that Bereket was the perfect child for our family. I would wait 10 months for a referral over and over again!!
Yes, so true. Worth the wait. They are gorgeous. So happy for you.
Yes, yes! Beautifully put. It is truly amazing what can happen in a year. I absolutely love this last photo of you.
I just love how you share what's in your heart. And thank you for the poem on joy and sorrow. Your message and post is just what I needed this morning!
I know you have heard this before but your boys are so CUTE!
What I love about this post (and it is one of the many things I love about you) is how you are always encouraging and lifting up others! Even in those hardest months at the end of 2009 you were there for so many of us. The last photo brings tears to my eyes. So worth the wait!!
Loved this post! It always amazes me how the perfect children are always placed with the perfect families. It's like it was meant to be. :)
Heidi,
You are so right to point out that everything we gripe about during the wait will not only seem trivial but also totally worth it once our children are in our arms.
Thanksgiving indeed.
Beautiful!
We were requesting 0-12months and got a phone call asking if we would be interested in increasing our age preference for a posible referral of a 20 month old... our sweet Eva Faith!!! Completely meant to be! :o)
Great post, Heidi! I feel the same way, having changed our referral request. I cannot imagine our life without Sophia. It is amazing to think about what was happening in her life just one year ago.
so hard to believe at the time... but so utterly true!
Thanks... we are waiting on a court date for our twin 4 month old girls...
Thank you. We are in the same place you were last year thinking our child would be home by now. I hope I can write this post next year
Hi Heidi,
I met Candy today - a close friend of yours and at our thanksgiving dinner it came up that we are adopting from EThiopia - her mom Patti is married to my cousin Jeff. Anyhow - she told me to check out your blog. I'd LOVE to email or talk to you more about your experience - but I love this last post.
Our blog is backus.blogspot.com andyou can email me at gmbackus@hotmail.com.
Gail
such Cuuuuute photos :) !!
tears in my eyes reading this one!
i'm sooooo happy you followed your heart and that God lead you right to the boys He had in mind for you.
Post a Comment