Sunday, December 26, 2010

Our First Christmas

One week before Christmas I attended a meeting with a co-worker who coughed and sneezed through the entire three hours. He admitted to having a fever and seemed unconcerned by our worries that he was going to infect us all for Christmas.

Bah humbug.

Sure enough, on the first of my scheduled vacation days, I woke up with a cough and a fever.

Get-togethers were cancelled...

Cookies were not baked...

And this momma, who was so looking forward to a couple extra days of fun with her boys, spent the next two days in bed.

It was hard not to wish for a lump of coal for my co-worker!

On Friday morning, Christmas Eve, I was feeling a little better and the three boys weren’t showing any signs of illness, so we ventured north to Grandma’s house for our annual celebration. We had a great time and appreciated the welcome in spite of the risk of getting everyone sick (really hope you guys don't get sick!!!).


By the time we got home the boys weren't feeling well but that didn't dampen their excitement about leaving cookies and carrots for Santa and his reindeer.


Upstairs in bed, as he snuggled into my neck, Dash said, "Mommy yummy" and just before drifting off to sleep Taye said, "Mommy, Taye happy." Now if that doesn't just say it all :-)

Unfortunately the rest of the night didn't go as well. On a night when most children are tossing and turning with excitement, mine were tossing and turning with fevers.

They were really sick by morning but magic was still in the air. The look on their faces when they saw what Santa brought them was priceless.

They have been asking for big boy bikes since they saw our neighbor riding one in September and they couldn't believe that Santa really brought them one. They can barely reach the peddles but at the rate they are growing they will fit just fine by spring.

Santa left them notes telling them what good boys they have been this year and how proud and happy they make their Mommy and Daddy.

They are still talking about the fact that Santa and the reindeer ate the cookies and carrots they left!


Discovering the rest of Santa's presents was almost as much fun. We won't have to wait until spring to put these into action!


Trying hard to have fun but feeling pretty yucky...until some Children's Tylenol and a move to the couch, plus a few more presents, helped them find a second wind. Dash kept saying, "Momma, too much!", meaning too many presents, but really he loved it!


In spite of the fact that there was a lot of this...


And a ton of this...


I have never had a more wonderful Christmas!




18 comments:

Julie said...

Merry Christmas to you guys! Sorry you were ill, but everything looks beautiful!

Sha Zam- said...

Merry Christmas!! So glad you are better and hope the boys are on the mend. BEAUTIFUL!!

Gayla said...

Boo for germy coworkers, but HOORAY for a wonderful First Christmas!!! LOVE!!!! :-)

kn said...

Same type of Christmas at our house. Still battling low grade fevers. Like you though it was wonderful and having each other is the best Christmas present anyway.


Love love love the photos!

Hope you are all starting to feel better.

Bridget said...

These photos have so much magic in them. I can feel it. It's amazing. Your boys are adorable- and what fun gifts!! I hope you're all on the mend and enjoying all the new goodies- and of course each other- although, it sounds like you have that one covered! :)

Rebecca said...

what a magical christmas despite the sickness. taye and dash are so beautiful and what fun presents! i can't get over the video ... so sweet and funny. xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxo

Kristy -Mom To 9 Blessings said...

Oh my goodness, what a precious post! Makes my heart happy reading it and seeing the wonderful photos! Hope that you are all on the mend. Truly a magical Christmas even with the sickness. Thanks for sharing your life and boys with us!
Blessings, Kristy

We Are Family said...

OH.MY.GOODNESS! Precious. I hope everyone is feeling better :)

Jennifer said...

AMAZING! Love the toys and especially the last toy with the microphone... Now, I need you to send me the list of things you bought for next Christmas when I can't figure out what to buy. (minus anything for snow. ;-0)
;-)

You are definitely raising two musicians, and I don't think kids can have too many guitars. ha ha Didn't they already get one?

Santa wants to know where all the presents were hidden? That is a total mystery to me. I can't figure out how people hide all the presents.. umm I mean how Santa stores it all.

Lori said...

Oh no, so sorry Dash & Taye got sick afterall! Hope everyone is feeling better. We loved seeing you all and has so much fun! The boys are the most adorable, lovable, huggable kids I have ever met! I miss them. Hugs & kisses to everyone.

Lori

Jennifer said...

Oh, and as another person owned by a pug, I was very impressed at the amount of self control exhibited by your pug.

The Busters said...

Oh Heidi! I am so sorry you were sick because I know how much you were looking forward to this vacation. Boo on that co-worker! But the boys looks so happy and are still as cute as ever. I hope you are all feeling better soon! Belated Merry Christmas!! Love you!

Sara said...

What a wonderful Christmas (despite the sickness :( ) for you all!!

Anonymous said...

Heidi,
What a wonderful Christmas!! The boys are so blessed to have had such a GREAT Christmas morning!! I got our baby from Ethiopia the very same Rody pony!! He loves it too!! Hope you all are feeling better very soon!!

Happy New Year!!!

Love,
Nayla xox

Sue said...

This makes me look forward to Christmas with a little one again so much fun, the joy, the magic even amidst fevers. I hope you are all feeling better. And your happiness spills over to 2011 and beyond.

Cheers!

Lisa said...

What a bummer you guys were sick! Looks like you made the best of it though and everyone still had some fun. You are right, this year is completely different from where we all were a year ago. It's so wonderful to finally have these little ones home this year! Merry Christmas to you guys!

Jennifer said...

I am looking at these photos for the umpteenth time. I hate to say it but I don't know if I could tell them apart. Was it hard at first? In fact, I know if I saw both of them I wouldn't be able to tell them apart....

Heidi said...

Jennifer, you are not alone. They don't look anything alike to Mark and me but no one else can tell them apart. Should get interesting once they enter school!