Friday, October 16, 2009

Let The Court Dates Begin

The rainy season has ended and the courts in Ethiopia reopened this week!

I realize not everyone reads about Ethiopian adoption as religiously as we do so the short of it is this...

In order for a family to legally become parent(s) to Ethiopian children, they must first pass court in Ethiopia. Ethiopian courts go on recess every year during the rainy season, which lasts about two months - from the end of August to the end of September/early October. The exact date that they reopen is never set in stone, and this year it extended an extra two weeks beyond what was originally expected.

Referrals (when a family is told of a match) still occur during the rainy season. Referrals, of course, bring happy times, but nothing more can happen until the family passes court. Personally, I think this "court date" stage of waiting sounds so much harder than the stage Mark and I are in. Can you imagine falling head over heals for a picture? Getting a glimpse into a blossoming personality, getting updates and seeing your child, whom you have yet to hold, growing, changing, and learning without you? Can you imagine feeling all the feelings parents feel but without the ability to sing, kiss, comfort, cuddle, feed, teach or protect...?

I can.

And so we wait excitedly for our wait list buddies to get their court dates!

COME ON COURT DATES!!!

2 comments:

More Dorrs said...

I have been c-r-a-z-y this week. If I don't get a court date soon, I might lose it...what happened to all that patience I had during the wait for our referral?!?!????!

-b

p.s. dear mowa, I'm not ACTUALLY crazy (yet). Please let me be a mom to sweet baby d.

Tam and Kai - NYC said...

I completely agree. I think waiting for the court date is going to be the toughest bit yet.