Sunday, October 4, 2009

The Milk Carton Theory


Dates have taken on new meaning during this year of waiting. Anything that has a date associated with it ~ a dentist appointment, perishable goods, an upcoming social event ~ gets me wondering if we will have our referral by that day.

Every few weeks I buy a new carton of milk and hope that I will know my children's names before it expires. I must admit, I was a little surprised last week when I went to have a bowl of cereal and found that the milk had soured. I had been pretty confident that this time we would get our call before that happened.

But October has been a lucky month for me. It is the month I fulfilled my dream to move to New York City. It is the month I bought my first home. And it is the month I got married. Will it be the month that we see our children's faces for the first time? I sure do hope so. At the very least, my theory is that THIS will be the very last carton of milk I buy before I do.

In other news, we had a wonderful time last night visiting with Scott and Ryan Brown from Gladney, and Segi Desta who is on the Gladney Board of Directors and who was instrumental in getting the Ethiopia program up and running. They were in town for the Gladney Cup and ventured out in a horrific rain storm to meet with us, and several other local Gladney Ethiopia families, to share a meal. Mark made a big pot of chili, and I insisted he use ground turkey instead of beef. He was a little worried about how this "Connecticut Chili" would be received by our Texan guests of honor. Fortunately it seemed to be a big hit with all. We had a wonderful time and I am continually awed by how fortunate we are to know these amazing people and to have such a wonderful group of families in our area.

We will see these local families again next weekend for the second birthday of a little cutie who came home last November. October 10th is the date of that party. October 9th is our anniversary. October 5th, 6th, 7th or 8th sure would make perfect dates for that all important call!

12 comments:

The Busters said...

Hi Heidi! What is the Gladney Cup? I was watching the Today Show yesterday morning and saw people holding up signs that said stuff like "Adoption Rocks," "I heart Gladney" and "I love my Gladney baby." I hadn't slept well and the coffee was still brewing so I was a little worried that I was having a vision and was completely consumed with adoption stuff. :) I wonder if the signs were because of the Gladney Cup. Do tell!! I agree that October is a great month! Praying it is your time!

Scott Brown said...

Mark and Heidi,
We had a great time last night and Mark's chili really was good! Glad we were able to see you guys again.

Cassandra Britt said...

October IS a good month!! Hope it is YOUR month!!!

Shawn said...

Praying that a call comes your way real soon!

Tam and Kai - NYC said...

I really wish we could have made the dinner - what a great group!
This HAS to be the week, yes?

Lisa said...

I can't imagine waiting for as long as you guys have. Hang in there, it has to be soon! Let's keep our fingers crossed for this week :)

Rebecca said...

You make my heart happy. I want more than anything for you to get the call ... and yeah, universe, this week would be great. We're also celebrating our anniversary this week. October is a wonderful month. I am so going to want to hop on a plane once you hear the news to celebrate with you. No more milk carton expiration dates. No more whens! But, I know that you are doing well. You are waiting gracefully. You are strong. I'm sending a special wish to the amazing moon tonight for you!!!

love and love and love and love,
Rebecca

Jen said...

Caught up on your blog. Love the milk carton theory:) Soon...isn't that amazing that as each day passes and impatience grows the only thing for sure is that you are one day closer to seeing your little ones-maybe today. Surreal, really. Work out, take vitamins, and learn Amharic...all of which, you will need. Can't wait to watch your family grow.

Where in Ct are you? Husband is from Simsbury, sister lives near Greenwich.

More Dorrs said...

Dear Universe (and Gladney),

My friend Heidi is really nice and really patient. Do you think you could just tell her who her children are? I'd really like to travel to Ethiopia with her so we can finally meet.

Pretty please?

Sincerely,

Heidi's waitlist buddy

Rahel said...

Please soon! I love your theory!!!!!

Tanya said...

Praying this is your month!

Maribeth said...

October! October! Please be early October! Hoping and praying that phone rings soon.