As we prepare for Christmas I often think of what this time of year will be like once our children are home. We want to incorporate some of the Ethiopian customs into our family traditions and this time of year seems like a perfect occasion to do this.
Christmas in Ethiopia is called Ganna and because Ethiopia has its own ancient calendar, which has much in common with the Coptic Egyptian Calendar, Ganna falls on January 7th instead of December 25th. One of the things we plan to do on January 7th is cook some of the traditional Ethiopian foods including wat - essentially a spicy stew - and injera, which is a sourdough pancake of sorts that is used to scoop up the wat.
I heard that injera is quite difficult to get right and I have not tried my hand at it yet, but I did buy some teff flour at our local Whole Foods today - baby steps, baby steps! We also made a batch of berbere last night. For those who don't know, this is the traditional spice used to flavor most Ethiopian cooking. It is quite hot and spicy! At the moment we have our first dora wat on the stove and it smells great!
Please watch this amazing slide show by the BBC of Ganna traditions in Ethiopia.

4 comments:
You might be able to find a place to buy injera - there's a convenience store in Boston that is run by Ethiopians, in addition to your run-of-the-mill bread/milk/fruit/last-minute essentials you would expect to find in such a place, they carry injera and Ethiopian spices. I just went there this weekend to stock up on injera and will definitely go back! If you're close to NYC, I bet you can find something similar...
Wow, I am super impressed that you are going to make your own injera. I'd love to see pictures of the finished product. Thanks for the BBC link!
Wow this sounds delicious. Wish I was there.
Heidi - I just wanted to say that I appreciate all of the nice comments you've left on my blog! I haven't gotten a chance to read a lot of yours, but look forward to it. I think the sibling adoption is unique and look forward to seeing how your journey continues.
Peace,
Evelyn
Post a Comment