Monday, December 14, 2009

Ah, It's Time ***Updated***

The Measure
~ by Mary Oliver, New Poems, 2004 - 2005

I stopped the car and ran back and across the road
and picked up the box turtle, who only
hissed and withdrew herself into her pretty shell.
Well, goodness, it was early in the morning, not too much traffic.
Rather an adventure than a risk, and anyway
who wouldn't give aid to such a shy citizen?
Who wouldn't complete the journey for it, taking it of course
in the direction of its desire: a pinewoods
where, as I learned, the blueberries ripen early.
Probably she had thought, in the middle of the night - Ah, it's time.
Sometimes I think our own lives are watched over like that.
Out of the mystery of the hours and the days
something says - Let's give this one a little trial.
Let's, say, put a turtle in the road she's traveling on, and in a hurry.
Let's see how her life is measuring up, that lucky girl.
So much happiness, so much good fortune. Ah, it's time.

(for Beka & Jake and Rebecca & Colin on the eve of their third try at passing court...xoxo, h)

****UPDATE! Apparently third time really is a charm because both families passed court today! You can go here and here to congratulate the new parents and see pictures of their beautiful children!****

8 comments:

Rebecca said...

i love when you post poems. they are always the perfect poems.

Rebecca said...

silliest me- oh thank you, dear friend. i do wish. i do.

More Dorrs said...

Thank you, miss lovely. This was just what I needed after a l-o-n-g day.

b

The Busters said...

So sweet. Gosh darn that Mary Oliver is good! Hoping for good news today from Rebecca and Beka! May it be their time!!

Mom said...

Lovely poem on its own - great poem for the situation. You are so supportive of others.

I am on the beach...I am blessed! Tom says "hi". Love to you and MN.

J Gutwein said...

Beautiful post. Love, J

Autumn and Dan's family said...

Great post. Yes, your dolls were sent out on Monday. You should get them today. I hope you like them!

AprilM said...

Thanks so much......I think we're all ready to recieve a phone call........God Bless.....