Wednesday, December 23, 2009

On Joy and Sorrow

Lately some of you have been saying the nicest darn things. I have been moved to tears (the good kind) by comments and posts from some of you, many of whom I have never even met, and it must be said that I appreciate your support so very much. It really does help.

A few of you have mentioned how strong I seem, which makes me realize that I have only been telling you half the story. The nice thing about the internet is that I only have to write when I am feeling positive. I only have to show you things like yummy food and cute hand knit toys. What I don’t show you are the dust bunnies piling up in the corners when I would rather spend way too much time on the internet seeking wisdom from others, or researching adoption, Ethiopia, or transracial parenting because sometimes these are the only things I can think about. Some days I do feel strong, but other days I am grieving. The five stages of grief are denial, anger, bargaining, depression and acceptance. Map a day to a stage and you have a pretty good picture of what a week feels like for me right now!

But, over the past 17 months, I have watched other families go through a lot worse than waiting 12+ months for a referral, and that gives me perspective. I watched those families in awe of their strength and in fear of becoming one of them – one of the unfortunate who got hung up somewhere in the process (some of you are probably feeling the same as you read this). I thought if that happened to us I would be a complete and utter mess but here I am, one of “them”, and I am not a mess. Life goes on. Hope and maternal instinct are incredibly powerful motivators. And that old adage, “what doesn’t kill you makes you stronger”…well, it’s true. Even though we don't feel strong every day, Mark and I are stronger as individuals and the roots of our marriage have grown deeper and more intertwined because of this experience. I cannot think of a better way to prepare our hearts and our home for two children who are undoubtedly experiencing some pretty tough stuff themselves right now. And, of course being the eternal optimist, I think that the happiness that awaits us will surly outweigh the challenges of the past few months.

I guess what I am trying to say is that I may not always be strong, but what I am is hopeful. What I hope for (oh, please let it be so) is that 2010 brings us, and each and every one of you, much joy!

Happy holidays!

Love,
Heidi


On Joy And Sorrow
Kahlil Gibran

Your joy is your sorrow unmasked.
And the selfsame well from which your laughter rises was oftentimes filled with your tears.
And how else can it be?
The deeper that sorrow carves into your being, the more joy you can contain.
Is not the cup that holds your wine the very cup that was burned in the potter's oven?
And is not the lute that soothes your spirit, the very wood that was hollowed with knives?
When you are joyous, look deep into your heart and you shall find it is only that which has given you sorrow that is giving you joy.
When you are sorrowful look again in your heart, and you shall see that in truth you are weeping for that which has been your delight.
Some of you say, "Joy is greater than sorrow," and others say, "Nay, sorrow is the greater."
But I say unto you, they are inseparable.
Together they come, and when one sits, alone with you at your board, remember that the other is asleep upon your bed.
Verily you are suspended like scales between your sorrow and your joy.
Only when you are empty are you at standstill and balanced.
When the treasure-keeper lifts you to weigh his gold and his silver, needs must your joy or your sorrow rise or fall.

14 comments:

Mom said...

Read with pride, respect and love.

Lisa said...

Oh Heidi, I just love your honesty and the beautiful way you put your thoughts and feelings into words. Thank you for always being the endless encourager to us all even when you are going through tough stuff yourself. Praying for you and your babes! Come on 2010 and bring us some long anticipated joy!

Robyn said...

This post was lovely and perfect. I, too, never thought I would be an "other" either. Thank you for sharing!

mhkesler said...

Heidi...again you've shown your beauty, inside and out. What an amazing mama you will be to your kiddos!

Thanks for sharing the not so pretty side of the journey...it adds to your lovliness! :)

Eryn said...

oops, my hubby was still signed in...it was me! Eryn

The Busters said...

Heidi, thank you so much for this post. I have been weepy all day and this post just pushed me over. I am just constantly blown away by you. I can't tell you how often I read blogs of couples that endure snags and delays along the way and wonder in fear how I will handle it if that happens to us. Thank you for being so honest about that. I am so hopeful for 2010 and much of that hope is for you and Mark. Hugs from Ohio!! XOXO

Tam said...

Yup. You're just the best. No doubt about it!
Seriously though, I don't think there is anyone who though you were just a smiley cheery stepford wife all the time. I don't think anyone would be able to connect with you the way we all have if you were. But the fact that you are sharing this journey with us, it just really means a lot. It's your Humanity we love (and your yummy food and cute hand knit toys.) Man oh man, I really need for 2010 to be YOUR time!!!!!
Happy holidays Heidi!!!

Sara said...

I just want to echo what a great mom you will be! With a heart like yours how incredibly lucky those two halfway around the world are to be home with you in 2010 and forever!

Rebecca said...

a bit late to the posting party. you, you are a force. you have the force. and apparently mad cooking skills and mad knitting skills ... loving it!!!

so many days you have got me through. so many times i count my blessings that this journey has brought you into my life. i don't really want to be waiting with you anymore. i want us to be freaking out and calling each other on the phone and talking about parenting stuff and where we're going to meet up for our much needed vacation with the kiddos.
but since we are all waiting. i think i am just the luckiest lady in the whole world because of you and our whole wonderful crew.
i know that we all wander into the dark. we have those nights of utter loneliness and sadness and the really yucky "what the hell am i doing" nights.
but we have each other. and on the other side ... on the 2010 side. that's when we will all be rejoicing together and celebrating our families!!! but it's not to shabby to be celebrating each other!!!
you know how much i love you, all the lovely parts of you that includes the light and the dark and all the in between.
happy holidays to you, my dear, dear friend.

cheers!!!

Unknown said...

I've enjoyed reading your blog and re-connecting with you. I can't wait to watch your journey continue in 2010.

Journey to Jaden said...

I am still praying for you guys! I cant imagine having to wait this long but once you have your children this will be a blurr..... Happy Holidays and cheers to 2010!!

emily said...

I can't wait to celebrate with you over your turn, your children, your travels.......hang in there, it WILL come!

Katie Morris said...

Thank you for your honesty and your constant encouragement. I wanted to let you know we received our referral today. I hope things happen quickly for you.

Tam and Kai - NYC said...

I've been MIA in blogworld for the past week or so but gravitated to yours before even attempting to update ours :)
You are the BEST!
Yes, you are so on point about this process strengthening a relationship. It has to be pretty strong to even start this journey, but when you add up all the parts in this rollercoaster adventure, you end up with two people armed to tackle almost anything.
You and Mark are going to be parents of the year!