Friday, December 11, 2009

Month 12

That’s right! Today is the anniversary of the day Mark and I received the wonderful news that we were approved and officially placed on the wait list to adopt siblings from Ethiopia. We have officially been waiting a full year, unofficially a year and six months, which is a lot longer than we thought we'd have to wait, and I'm pretty sure longer than any other family with our agency, but not nearly as long as many families have waited with other agencies. I chuckle now to think of all the things I tried to do to make this process go faster. Truly this is out of my hands and in the hands of something/someone much bigger than little ol’ control freak me. I thought I got that before, but I don’t think I really did until this past month.

I cannot tell a lie, this past month has been tough. Some of the challenges have been related to the length of time we have been waiting, and others have been related to some unexpected calls that we received from our agency. I really believed that I had thought through all the possible scenarios of how this was going to go down, but I missed this scenario completely and that caught me off guard. I wasn’t sure if I was ever going to tell this story, but then I was inspired by the honesty of this person when she wrote this and I think our story might actually help someone else some day so here it is.

Typically how it works is that our agency matches a family with a child or children, and then lots of stuff goes on behind the scenes to make sure that the child(ren) are truly available for that family to pursue. Things like the birth family interview, developmental evaluation, medical tests and I think maybe some paperwork all typically happen without the family knowing anything about being matched. Sometimes that behind the scenes stuff can take a few months, especially if a family has requested a second PCR test, and often the child(ren) have been in Gladney’s care for some time before the family is called with their referral (that’s when you find out who you have been matched with, get to see pictures, learn their history, health, etc.). Typically the referral call is the only call a family receives.

Much to our shock and dismay, a month ago we received a different kind of call, and learned that we still had not even been matched. Because we had waited such a long time and because there still were no siblings available within our age preference, our agency called while they were in the process of trying to match us to ask if we wanted to up our age preference. Over a year ago, we intentionally had our home study written to allow exactly this to happen, but truthfully we never dreamed that it would and we had sort of forgotten about it until we got this call.

Let me back up a bit. About 15 months ago, while we were in the midst of doing our home study, we had a conversation with Belay, the head of our agency’s program in Ethiopia. In that conversation he confirmed that the wait for a young sibling pair was unpredictable and that it really depended on who else was on the waitlist ahead of us and what children were available when our turn came up. He pointed out that sometimes children became available that were just slightly outside a family’s age preference, especially if that preference was in the extremely popular 0 – 12 month range, but if their home study only approved them for children up to 12 months of age he couldn’t even tell the family about the slightly older children. He said that once he had 15 month old twins with no family to adopt them in spite of the fact that several families were waiting for an infant or twins 0-12 months.

We took that conversation to heart and in order to keep our options open, we had our home study written to approve us for two children 0 – 5 years of age. Then when it came time to specify our preference, we asked our agency to match us with siblings who were 0-15 and 0-39 months old (originally we had it at 0-12 and 0-30 but we upped it in April hoping to speed things up. Chuckling again…you can’t blame a girl for trying!). Typically families are matched with children within their specified preference. In fact, I can't think of any stories where that did not happen, which is why I was caught off guard when our caseworker called.

It must be said that we are glad Gladney is handeling our case this way, and we trust that everything is going to work out just as it should in time, but we can see why most families are shielded from this stage of the process.

I don’t mean to be mysterious, but for many reasons I cannot reveal all the details of the calls we have had with our caseworker over the past month. Suffice it to say that we have increased our age range in order to pursue a specific sibling pair that might become available. We have not seen their faces and we don’t know much about them other than their approximate ages, and we don't know when we will learn more. To get an idea of what I mean by might become available, head over here and console this amazing family who apparently has been having similar conversations with their caseworker.

So, we wait some more, but we’ve had a small preview into what might be to come, and we are holding our breath, hoping that this next call is good news and that it comes soon. Stay tuned!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

In the meantime, please also head over here, to the blog of my wait list buddy, Beka – my wait list TWIN actually because we went on the wait list the same day, exactly one year ago today. Beka, is anxiously awaiting news of whether she and her husband passed court in Ethiopia last night. If you read her post on December 10th I won’t have to tell you how amazing she is. Who has the presence of mind, after waiting so very long to bring her son home, to so graciously think of others on a night like that?! My beloved wait list twin, Beka, that’s who. I am blessed.

16 comments:

The Mrs. said...

Praying for some good news- and soon!

Rebecca said...

you make my heart so happy.

More Dorrs said...

Drinks at your place tonight? :)

So glad to be on this journey with you!

Waiting with you...

-b

The H Family said...

So hoping this is it. Thoughts are with you!

The Busters said...

Thinking of you and sending lots of positive vibes your way! HOPING for good news soon! XOXOXOXO

Tam said...

I am holding my breath with you. I really can't wait to exhale with you. I think for most of us, your referral is going to be as intense an experience as our own referrals.
And your future children, wow, they are getting the best mama. So much heart :-)

Evelyn said...

Wow, Heidi! Sounds like there are some exciting things happening your way. I hope everything turns out wonderfully. I remember the waiting... and some of the "are these our children?" drama. I hope to come back from Ethiopia and read of your two :)

All the best!

Lisa said...

I can't believe the similarities in our journey. So glad to be on it with you guys! All I can say is it really is a good idea that they shield you from all the details. Nevertheless, your heart will do what it wants. Just don't go writing letters to these specific children and then sign them Love, Mom...

Evelyn said...

Thanks for the "shout out." Now, I could not imagine any referral more perfect for us. These are OUR boys. The wait was totally worth it.

xoxo

Lisa said...

I sent you an email. Just wanted to make sure it didn't end up in your spam box!

Jackie Harmon said...

Praying you hear something soon! Thanks for sharing your story.

Sara said...

Month 12. Wow. But, what a cliff hanger post Heidi! It sounds like you may be on the brink of something wonderful! Can't wait to see! Crossing fingers and toes for you and Beka!

Unknown said...

Hey girly! just wanted you to know i'm thinking about you! i check the FBI everyday praying for your news! its coming! i know it is!!!! hugs to you!!!

Eryn said...

Heidi...Thanks for your note. I love the joy you seem to have in this wait. I am so excited that there is something on the horizon for you, praying that the perfect pair is brought to you and Mark!

Tam and Kai - NYC said...

How did I miss this post?
It's very bold to share your story and will most definitely help someone else along the way. You are such an amazing person. I'm so happy to have you as a waitlist buddy and beyond fortunate that you're local. One day our kiddies will be playing together and somehow this crazy wait will make sense.
All the best to you and Mark!
xo

The Soucys said...

I think of your wait often- and admire your strength. Praying for you...