Monday, May 17, 2010

Lasts

The packing is done.

The house is mostly clean.

Mark is at work, so today is my last day at home alone with the dogs.

All I can hear are the sounds of my laptop fan and the birds outside. It is a beautiful spring day, full of sunshine and soft breezes, and my roses have started to bloom. I can see bright pink blossoms from where I sit.

I am drinking it all in, the solitude, the silence, while I can.

I am going to spend this evening putting together a little table and chair set, imagining the many art projects, snacks, pretend train rides that will happen there.

Soon I will no longer have to imagine.

Tonight is our last night at home without our sons.

28 comments:

Matt and Kristi said...

Heidi, I get the chills (in a good way) just reading your post and thinking about what lies ahead for your family in the next few days. We'll be thinking of you!

Kristi

AprilM said...

Heidi,
Have a wonderful trip!!! We will be praying for you...Your boys are such sweetie's...Congrats!!!

InventingLiz said...

Have a fantastic trip, enjoy the time in Ethiopia, and come home ready to share it all with those of us anxiously awaiting your return!

Belleme said...

So exciting! I teared up a little after reading this! :) Can't wait to see you with your boys!
Janet

the Melodious Mama said...

have a beautiful day! can't wait to read all about your union!

xo

Amy said...

Have a safe and wonderful trip. I can't wait to read all about it.

Evelyn said...

I am so happy and excited for you! Hold on! The ride of your life is about to begin! Safe travels and all the best to you and your boys!

Jennifer said...

Amazing. Your time has come. All best wishes to you on the eve of your next chapter. Can't wait to hear about it!

Claudia said...

oh happy day! Big grin on my face, just for you !

Lisa said...

Enjoy these last few moments of peace! I will see you in a week!!!! Ahhh, I can't believe it's time!!!!

The Mrs. said...

Thrilled for you and your family! Have an amazing time.
-Renae

Anonymous said...

Safe travels, my friends. Be sure to sample a nice cup of Ethiopian coffee for your first breakfast in Addis (you could even bring some back...hint, hint ;-)

If I may offer some advice (fully realizing it's impossible to do), try to clear your mind of expectations, of questions or plans! Absorb this experience the way it wants you to. Your sons will show you the way.

Can't wait to see you with your family complete very soon.

Enjoy yourselves, Mark and Heidi.

Eric & Anita

Cindy said...

Have an amazing trip!

Rebecca said...

yes the lasts ... only to be met by so many firsts. i'll miss you while you are gone. but i will be dreaming of you all ... together.

Eryn said...

Oh my...the tears are already starting to flow! Today every little thing is making me cry...it's all SO REAL! We are going...GOING to get our children! I love it. Have a wonderful flight...I will see you in Ethiopia, friend!!

sko3 said...

I hope your last night of this phase of life is sweet and sentimental. Hang on tight! The best part of the ride is yet to come!

Heather said...

wowowowowowowowowowowowowowowow!
deep breath.
xoxo
cannot wait to hear about your trip.
heather

The Busters said...

Oh, Heidi. I love how you were intentional with your time today and really made sure to think about each moment. There are so many of us that will be keeping you in our thoughts as you travel tomorrow and can't wait to hear all the details of your trip. LOVE YOU!!

kn said...

sorry i couldn't make the shower - i'm just catching up - oh my how much is going to change. i'm happy you had a sweet moment to contemplate

thought of you on sunday when our minister read a mary oliver poem

take it all in
your day has come

emily said...

tears.........in the best possible way. Can't wait to see the next sweet child to wear the clothes of our children, continuing to connect us!!

Praying for the trip!

Tam and Kai - NYC said...

Off you go to the next phase of this journey. And we're all with you each step of the way!
Two years of waiting, posting, commenting, losing sleep, goosebumps, hope and planning. It's all here. Tomorrow.
We love you and will be awaiting the return of four Newcombes.
XO

Tracy said...

Heidi,

I'm so happy your moment has come! I hope your initial days with Derebe and Degaye are precious and full of joy!

The Drucker Family said...

Travel blessings to you my friend. It's time. Your sons are coming home...life is good. Can't wait to see them again but in the arms of their Mom and Dad!!

Gayla said...

Happy.

Just so very happy for you, Heidi.

I'm tearing up right now just thinking about you.

Take TONS of pix in Awassa... then share them all with me!!! Lots of e-love coming your way, girl. God speed, my friend.

The H Family said...

Have a wonderful, wonderful trip. (Profound, right?)

Unknown said...

Hooray, the day has finally come! So absolutely thrilled for you! i'll be anxious to see if you're able to update from Ethiopia! So excited for ya'll!!! many blessings to you!

Engendo said...

Woot! Tears over here too thinking about those little boys coming home to their forever family. gush.

Tracie said...

I am so very happy for you both! Actually for all four of you! Your children yet don't know how lucky they are to have you as a parent... :-) I won't say hurry back but I will say hurry up and post some "Four Happy Newcombes in CT" pictures!

Tracie