Two days. To quote one of my favorite wait list buddies on the eve of her court date, "it is taking some restraint not to write this entire post in capital letters and hyperbole".
Not only is it two more days until we know the outcome, but in less than 24 hours the review of our case begins (Ethiopia is seven hours ahead and there are two stages to the approval process).
It is also taking some restraint not to put a dozen exclaimation points at the end of every scentence.
For those who are interested in what's happening behind the scenes, here are some of the details. Remember all that paperwork we gathered back in the summer of 2008? Well, all that paperwork now lives in a file along with all the paperwork we waited for on the boys. Early tomorrow morning—probably while we are still asleep (if we sleep)—the Ethiopian Ministry of Women’s and Children’s Affairs (MOWA) conducts the first review of our file. We won’t hear news of how things go with this review until Friday unless there is a problem (maybe not even then). I'm taking the no news is good news approach tomorrow.
Then on Friday, if MOWA issues a favorable opinion on Thursday, our agency’s attorney—to whom we have signed over power of attorney—will appear in court on our behalf. The Judge will conduct another review of our paperwork and the boys’ birth family member must appear and officially relinquish custody. I wish I could be there to look this person in the eye and tell them how much the boys will be loved, and how grateful we are to be the ones who get to parent them.
We will find out how all this plays out on Friday afternoon, typically between the hours of 12 pm and 3 pm Eastern time. I will be working from home, battling the butterflies, probably jumping every time my phone rings. There are two possible outcomes, and the realist in me is holding those possibilities in equal measure. From what I can tell after watching others go through this process over the past two years, it really is probably a 50/50 chance that it will be the outcome we desire.
In the event that our court date is delayed, we will be given a new court date, and the countdown will resume.
In the event that our adoption is approved, we will be given a travel date (be still my heart), and I will book our flights to Ethiopia that day. Travel is typically 3-5 weeks after the adoption is finalized and it will coincide with our U.S. Embassy appointment in Addis Ababa. The time in between court and travel is needed in order to obtain the court decree, the children’s Ethiopian birth certificates and their Ethiopian passports, all of which we will need for our Embassy appointment.
Our agency is given appointments with the U.S. Embassy every other week, and a little bird told me that in May those appointments fall within the weeks of May 9th and May 23rd.
I don't have to tell you what I am praying for with all my might.
TWO DAYS!!!!!!!!!!!!
"No pessimist ever discovered the secret of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land, or opened a new doorway for the human spirit."
Helen Keller

21 comments:
Oh my gosh that quote by Helen Keller!!!
I'm praying your in the favored 50% on the first go!
Crossing two fingers and two toes for good luck on two hands and two feet for two boys with two days to go!
I am literally on pins and needles for you guys!!!!!!!
I know its easier said than done, but, try, try, try to sleep over these next two nights (a little Benadryl works wonders). WHFC won't share our court date, unless we have to be there in court - which may be a good thing, as I have had some "wicked" insomnia since beginning this process :). I hope and pray that by Friday afternoon, you will only get the best possible news and that this process isn't dragged out any longer! Yay! Less than 48 hours! Positive thoughts your way!
Amy
I am getting massive butterflies for you!!! I am definitely taking the optimistic approach!!! Do you love all my exclamation marks? :) I just can't hold back. Love you!
It's gonna happen!!
butterflies and chills for you.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
thoughts headed both to you and
to MOWA.
Project Bring Home Those Boys
in full swing now!
It's the final countdown!
eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
I love reading your posts and getting goose bumps all over again when I hear of this amazing journey you are on. And I LOVE the motorcycle dudes! Where on earth did you get them?
Almost there!!! I'm so excited for you! I can't wait until Friday!!!!!!
i don't know what to say anymore. i am so nervous and anxious and happy. i mean we could be talking travel dates here. we will be talking travel dates. tomorrow is going to be hard. you'll numb your way through it. and there's always wine!!!! i love you!
I will be sending all of my love and positive energy to Ethiopia!
I am right here with you!
Please call or text me when you hear your news! eeeee!I'm using lots of exclamation points on accident!!
goosebumps!
this is sooooo exciting! 2 days!! and can you believe that I will be mid move and computerless!! ack!! I'm going to have to bust into some random cafe to find out what happens!
love the quote by the way! I'm all for dreaming big!
xo
Good luck (I am one of your occasional lurkers. We have court next Friday the 30th.) Hope you get your sweet boys home soon!
Given your prowess for paperwork and project management, I'd imagine that things should go off without a hitch.
Good luck, keeping my fingers crossed for you guys. It won't be long now.
CAPITAL LETTERS AND HYPERBOLE - there is no other option right now!!!!
Good juju, good juju, good juju. Thinking of your family.
Sweet Heidi! I'm praying too! This is your time! Can't wait to hear! Hugs to you sweet girl!
Praying here also!!! Those boys need to come home!!!!!
Praying, positive vibes, fingers crossed, optimistic thoughts...all going on here for you (with a lot of anxiety & goosebumps).
Come on MOWA!
XO
Post a Comment